Running

Charlie breathed softly through his nose as his heartbeat finally regulated. His soft, green eyes traveled from the smooth ceiling above him to the girl that lied next to him, mere inches away.

The comforter that covered the couple was the only piece of material that concealed their bodies. Charlie reached over and rested his hand on Quinn's, the serene smile that was originally plastered on his face slowly dwindled away once the redhead slid her hand out from beneath him.

The boy immediately sat up, his prominent eyebrows furrowed. He ignored the cold air that rushed to his chest and drove away the warmth he held just seconds earlier. The dark curls that hovered just above his shoulders gently swayed side to side as he shook his head, his gaze fixed on Quinn who faced the opposite direction.

She could practically feel his eyes boring into the back of her head. She let out a shaky sigh and furrowed deeper into the toasty bed.

As the days treaded on, Quinn still couldn't bring herself to reschedule her doctor's appointment. Although she longed to know what her future held, a part of her was too fearful to find out considering she was just about certain she already knew the answer. 

And while she wished she could allow the uncertainty and frustration to brew inside of her, over time, she found that that course of action was nearly impossible. She had to do something, anything to make the lies and deceit bearable. Even so, she knew that telling Charlie, or anyone for that matter, about her predicament, would be a grave mistake, one that she simply could not afford. However, as much as it killed her, she knew there was one thing she could do.

Before Charlie could voice his growing exasperation, the redhead interrupted, her voice quiet but firm.

"I wanna break up," she blurted.

Charlie let out a small chuckle, but the lighthearted demeanor that was about him completely vanished once Quinn followed her assertion with nothing but deafening silence. Despite the massive weight her words held, she still failed to face Charlie.

"What do you mean?" the boy whispered. He watched the redhead shrug her shoulders in response.

"I wanna break up."

"I heard you the first time," Charlie scoffed. "That still doesn't answer my question."

"How could I be any clearer?" Quinn narrowed her eyes and sat up, her fingers curled around her blouse as she quickly yanked it over her head. Charlie studied the girl as she continued to get dressed, the nonchalance that was about her quelled him entirely, but not for long.

"Quinn," Charlie began, his voice deep and stern, "what are you talking about?"

The other teenager shook her head. "I think you should go."

Charlie ripped the comforter from his body and rose to his feet, he scanned her entirely before letting out a chuckle that was dripping with sarcasm, "Really?"

"Really," came Quinn's immediate retortion.

"That's not funny." Despite the modest laugh that he produced, much like Quinn's, his face held little amusement.

"...It wasn't a joke," Quinn contended. She maintained her hardened expression as she watched Charlie's lips slowly part.

"Where's this coming from?"

Again, the redhead met the boy's question with silence. She couldn't help but flinch and snap her eyes to his once he raised his voice, "Quinn!"

"Your grampa was right," she declared. "He was right, okay?"