Things That Go Bump In the Night

"What was that?"

Ava merely hummed her response, a clear indication that she didn't know the answer to Paloma's breathy question and she wasn't planning to uncover the mystery either. Instead, she gingerly lined the brunette's jaw with kisses, her fingers skillfully gliding their way down the woman's thigh. Paloma had to admit, like her girlfriend, she was much more interested in Ava's breathtaking touch than she was in the quiet thumps that sounded in the distance.

Her lips curved upwards into a smirk once she felt the redhead begin to tug her shorts down her thighs. Paloma lifted herself up just enough to aid the woman in her conquest. Ava sat up and tossed the clothing onto the floor before finally settling herself back down on top of Paloma. Even though their lips only parted for a moment, the act alone granted the brunette all the willpower she needed to dedicate her senses to the movements that seemed to travel down the hall.

"Okay, don't tell me you're not hearing that," Paloma reiterated with a frustrated sigh. This time, she propped herself up on her elbows and fixated her eyes on the bedroom door as if she was waiting for someone or something to burst through at any moment.

"I hear it," Ava assured, her breath still ragged. "I just don't care."

Paloma only tore her eyes from the entrance and looked back at the woman once she tugged her t-shirt over her head in a torturously slow manner, an act that Ava was certain would get Paloma's attention.

And she was right.

Ava released her grip on the clothing, allowing it to silently kiss the floor. She welcomed the smirk that claimed her lips when a defeated groan escaped the depths of the brunette's throat because Ava knew exactly what she was doing.

Paloma's hands retreated to Ava's waist once the mahogany-haired woman settled her legs on each side of the brunette, trapping her between herself and the bed. Ava leaned down and delicately pressed her lips to Paloma's. It wasn't until the distant sound manifested itself yet again that Paloma pulled away. Ava released a irritated sigh, the sudden act gnawing away at her patience. Paloma shot her a knowing look, still, the redhead failed to lift herself from Paloma, instead, she merely shook her head in response.

"It's probably just Quinn. It sounds like its coming from her bedroom."

"I'd believe that if she could actually climb the stairs by herself."

Ava shrugged. "Siberia maybe?"

The noise grew louder and nearer. It wasn't until they heard more movements followed by the shattering of glass that Ava matched her girlfriend's frown. Both women narrowed their eyes but it was Paloma who took action.

Ava's back collided with the mattress once the brunette, without warning, quickly climbed from beneath her. Paloma tugged her shorts back up her thighs and quietly tossed Ava her top. Ava soundlessly slipped the article of clothing back over her head. Her breathing grew ragged, this time, however, for an entirely different reason.

She looked on as the woman pulled her closet open in a slow manner, praying the loud creek the door typically produced would fail to come to fruition. To both women's surprise, it opened without any fuss.

Paloma trailed her fingers along the outskirts of the top shelf as swiftly and silently as she could.

"What are you doing?" Ava whispered harshly.

The brunette failed to respond, instead, she focused on the task at hand. The second her digits made contact with a square shaped, cold, metal item, she used both hands to pull it out of hiding. She entered a nine-digit code into the safe and tugged on the handle once a small clicking sound signaled her access.