Second Nature

"I know I'm not Quinn but I need you to work with me here. You're the one that decided to roll in mud, this is the price you have to pay."

Siberia's soft whine was her only response to Ava's pleas. The husky followed it up by granting the woman the wildest, fiercest shake she could conjure up, effectively soaking Ava with water from head to toe.

Without warning, the dog then darted out of the kitty pool that Ava—not so securely—kept her in, the sudden act making Ava fall into the water instead. Her red hair, along with her clothing, instantly clung to her drenched skin. Ava ran her fingers through her locks in attempts to keep any stray strands from sticking to her face.

She closed her eyes and let out a sigh that even Siberia could tell was laced with anger once the diluted mud circled her in the small pool. Ava only opened her eyes once the husky nudged her with her snout, being careful not to step back into the water. Before the woman could regain custody of her, Siberia darted away once more, this time retreating to Paloma's side the second she stepped out of the house.

A hearty laugh escaped the depths of Paloma's throat at the sight of the writer and surprisingly, Ava joined in on the hysterics.

"Shut up," Ava demanded but the lightheartedness in her tone didn't go unnoticed by Paloma. "It's not that funny."

"It kinda is," she hummed. The brunette ridded the tears from her eyes and extended her hand to Ava who readily accepted it. Paloma hoisted her to her feet and chuckled yet again once the woman dragged herself out of the pool.

"I'm gonna kill that dog," came Ava's low contention. Siberia whined once more before hiding behind Paloma once the daggers Ava stared into her signaled her wrongdoing.

Paloma giggled and patted the dog on the head. "Yeah, she pretty much only sits still for Quinn."

Even though the brunette had informed Ava of that very fact prior to the incident, Ava decided to give it a go anyhow, saying that she 'had a way with animals'. Now, however, she wasn't so sure of the assertion.

Water quickly ran down the length of Ava's body, signaling her slim chances of being dry anytime soon. Her white shirt clung to her body and the sun didn't do her any favors as its bright rays made it incredibly easy to see through the thin material.

At this, Paloma averted her gaze, using her fingers as a small shield. "You might wanna do something about, "she blindly motioned to the other woman, "that."

Ava cursed under her breath and the brunette couldn't help but chuckle. She knelt down next to Siberia before pulling a weathered towel off her shoulder and wrapping it around the husky.

"I'm gonna take a shower."

"Good," Paloma snickered, her eyes still fixed on Siberia, "because you smell like wet dog."

Paloma grabbed a beer from the refrigerator and tossed her head back, welcoming its frigid temperature and savory taste

Paloma grabbed a beer from the refrigerator and tossed her head back, welcoming its frigid temperature and savory taste. It was a taste she was starting to notice she needed a lot more of these days. Instead of pondering that unsettling fact, she rested her eyes and allowed the alcohol to settle her.