chapter eleven

KENZIE'S POINT OF VIEW
( OF WHAT HAPPENED DURING THE CAR CRASH )
•••

i blinked at the bright sun light pouring into my room. dorota hadn't drawn the curtains last night. i sighed, releasing i was up way too early for school. deciding maybe i would walk and get some exercise done, i got up, and went in for a shower.

i changed into my uniform, and grabbing my phone, i went downstairs. i saw maddie on the couch, watching tv. "hey, why are you up so early?" she asked me. "i'm walking. and you should probably get ready now as well." i told her.

"since when do you tell me what to do?" she raised her eyebrows. "oh i'm just looking out for you." i said in a sickly sweet tone.

"anyways, bye or i'm gonna get late." i said, grabbing my backpack. as i walked, i was about to text annie and lauren to join me, when i heard a car honking. i stood frozen to the spot for a moment, and when it dawned on me that i could die, it was too late.

the last thing i remembered was someone get out of the car, before i fainted.

•••
KENZIE'S POINT OF VIEW
( AFTER THE LAST CHAPTER WHEN LAUREN, MADDIE AND JOHNNY LEFT )
•••

once lauren, maddie and johnny left my room, i dozed off again, and when i opened my eyes, i saw maddie sitting on a chair in my room.

"long time, sis." she grinned. "what do you mean?" i yawned, tired. maddie didn't answer, so i looked up and saw that there was a nurse there. "i'll give you two time to catch up. i'll be back to check on y'all in half an hour." she told us. we thanked her, and were finally left alone.

"are lauren and annie here?" i asked her. she shook her head, but smirked. "someone else is, though." i hadn't even realised, but johnny had entered the room.

"juan!" i yelled, bringing back the old name i used to tease him with. i blushed upon realising what i did, and he did too. well, that's embarrassing.

i know i just saw him, but at this moment, i'd be happy to see anyone. even molly. okay, maybe not, but you get me, right?

"well...i'll leave you two..to it." maddie slyly muttered. before we closed the door, i swear i heard her whisper lovebirds. this is what i have to live with.

"how are you feeling?" johnny broke the awkward silence we had been sitting in. "better now, but my head is bursting and i'm starving." i gave him a half smile, and johnny nodded. "figures, seeing as you haven't eaten in two days.

"wait are you serious?" i asked him, shocked. he let out a small chuckle, and nodded. "so how long have you been here for?" i asked him. "oh i-i uh came this morning." he stuttered.

"where are lauren and annie?" i asked him. "they've gone to get food." he replied. "oh thank jesus. what time is it?" i asked him.

"2:54pm." he replied. just then, the door burst open, and lauren, annie and maddie entered. "kenzie!" the two of my best friends squealed, hurling themselves onto me. i laughed, happy to see them.

after exchanging greetings, they handed me a bad of chipotle, and i excitedly opened my packet. i licked my lips in anticipation of eating. everyone sat down in different corners of the room, and finally we began to eat.

i was done in about ten minutes flat, which was lowkey embarrassing seeing as annie's plate was only half eaten. lauren's was less than half. maddie had barely begun and even john wasn't done.

everyone stared at me in shock, astonished that i had finished to fast. "let me be. i haven't eaten in two days." i laughed.

soon enough, all of them, except maddie as she was family, had to leave. i gave them a goodbye hug before laying back down in my bed.

"so what did you and johnny talk about?" she smirked. "not much. he asked me how i was." i told her. "you know right, that he hadn't left the hospital for two days." maddie smiled.

"that can't be right. he told me he came this morning." i said, confused. "he hasn't left since day one!" maddie pressed. "so he lied?" i sarcastically raised my eyebrows, while maddie nodded.

"for what joy?" i asked her. "i'll leave that to you to find out." she replied, getting up and walking out of the room, waving goodbye.

i stayed awake pondering over it for a while, but when i came to no conclusion half an hour later, i gave up and fell asleep.

i woke up to the same kind nurse shaking me. "ms. ziegler. we need to run some tests and if all goes well, you are free to go home." she told me. i nodded sleepily, and out my head back down as i was strolled to another room.

•••
this book is so overrated jesus

[ word count — 850 words ]
( EDITED )