1 The Revelation

A beautiful woman ran barefooted on the mountains. Her long black hair swaying from the wind. Her face had turned pale from the coldness. Tear welled up in her eyes, falling down her cheeks. She was only 21, and about to be married.

How she ended up there was because of assassins.

Why?

She kept asking herself over and over.

She had never harmed anyone in her life.

She was kind to those around her and had no malicious intent whatsoever.

So why were there people trying to kill her?

Was it because of her position as the Eldest Di* of the Wu family?

Was it because she was the number one beauty in the capital?

Or maybe, it was because of her hidden secret.

Wu Xingxie kept running until she was at a cliff. With all the snow, one could easily slip and fall to death. No one would know or even bother to check what was down the cliff.

Wu Xingxie heard the assassins catching up to her. She wasn't going to die so easily.

"Who sent you?" She asked loudly against the howling of the wind.

One of the masked assassins chuckled evilly.

"Who sent us? We won't tell you but we'll give you a hint! It was someone from your Wu family."

Wu Xingxie clenched her fists. She was expecting it to be some outsider or maybe even her groom's family who sent them.

Concubine Xi was right.

Her own family despised her.

Even though she knew many of them never liked her, she didn't fight back. She was more than kind to the servants and her siblings. She respected her parents and elders, living up to their harsh expectations. Not once did she talk back.

Yet in the end what happened?

They return good for evil.

Did Wu Xingxie ever try to achieve fame or glory? No, she only wanted to get married and move away from her controlling family.

As the assassins drew closer, Wu Xingxie began to laugh bitterly.

How foolish of her.

Even though her family didn't outright bully her, they had done so many evil behind her back.

Her father did so many schemings to get the Prime Minister position. Her mother never treated her like her half-siblings. Instead, she acted as if Wu Xingxie didn't exist.

The same went for her little brother. When Wu Xuan passed away, Wu Xingxie believed it was because of natural causes.

Looking back at it, her mother didn't even attend the funeral of her only biological son!

When Concubine Xi died, she left Wu Xingxie a blood letter. In the letter, it revealed the truth about Wu Xuan's death. However Concubine Xi didn't state who the murderer was.

Since that day, Xingxie had been doubting her fanily but because they never harmed her she didn't suspect them anymore.

Only now, she was the target.

"Come, you want to kill me? Go ahead!" Wu Xingxie stretched her arms out to the side.
She was truly stupid. She did so much to keep the good reputation of the Wu family but they were only using her.

The assassins hesitated after hearing her words.

Wu Xingxie's eyes were full of hatred and malice. Before, she never lost her temper. She only felt compassion and sympathy or pity.

She always held a calm personality but now, she wanted to curse the Wu family to death.

A blade was thrusted into her heart yet Xingxie felt no pain. It wasn't because she was numb from being in the cold.

Her crimson blood flowed out, mixing with the redness of her dress. Today was supposed to be a happy occasion.

Xingxie looked down at the sword in her heart.
The assassin before her was saying something but she couldn't hear him.

She was already numb physically and emotionally.

If I, Wu Xingxie is reborn, I will make the people who killed my brother and stepmother pay with their blood!

Turning back, Xingxie saw the seemingly endless abyss of the cliff.

"It's a shame such a beauty like you has to die. I would love to play with you." The lead assassin stated before signaling the other two to push Xingxie off.

With their strength, they easily pushed the fragile woman off.

Eldest Di*- The title for the legitimate eldest daughter of a nobleman's legal wife.