52 The Masked Man (4)

Just then, the man disappeared from her view.

Wu Xingxie looked around for him but he was nowhere to be seen. She was dumbfounded but actually found it interesting.

Is he challenging me?

Alright, we'll see who's better.

Wu Xingxie went back, but couldn't push the short battle out her mind. Although this was their second meeting, it was much more exciting.

Their first meeting, he interfered with her plans and now, he attacked her for no reason.

Did he hold some kind of grudge against her?

Though she was certain was that he belonged to the Bao clan.

***
"Eldest Miss, you're back!" Yuyan smiled when she saw her Eldest Miss return.

"Did anyone come by?" She asked taking off the outer layer of her hanfu.

Yuyan shook her head but added,
"But, the annual family meeting is next month. Will you go?"

Before, Wu Xingxie always avoided these family meetings but things were different now.

"Of course. As the eldest of the siblings, won't I set a bad example if I don't show up?"

Yuyan was expecting her not to go but as Wu Xingxie asked this, she immediately knew her master was planning something.

She couldn't tell what her master was thinking but understood what she wanted. Surely, Eldest Miss had something up her sleeves.

***
A few days went by with Wu Xingxie checking up on Madam Gu's people. They had been training secretly without the knowledge of any outside forces. Wu Xingxie never revealed her face but she would give advice on how to control Qi better or how to treat a wound in case they got injured.

Madam Gu focused on her pregnancy and made sure it was not leaked. If the public learned of this, it would cause an uproar in the palace. She even kept it from her family members. They had always nagged at her for not bearing children for the late Prime Minister.

Now that she was finally pregnant, they would surely try and take the baby.

"I've been to the place where he was killed." Wu Xingxie told the woman whose baby bump had grown larger.

"I'm sure he hired someone to do it. That way, even if the person was caught, it would be impossible to trace it back to him."

Wu Xingxie thought for a while before speaking again.

"The method used on Prime Minister Gu is a secret technique of the Wu clan. However, since Wu Dingxiang didn't kill him directly,"

Before she could finish, Madam Gu knew what she planned to say and finished it off.

"He gave the secret technique to a skilled martial artist."

"Exactly. The secret technique can't just be learned by reading the book. More so, the techniques are written in a way in which only those who have reached a certain level can decipher." Wu Xingxie knew this because Wu Dingxiang had shown her the books when she was 10, but her level was not at the one where she could decipher the complex characters.

It seemed like a totally different language at the time. However, as she reached the higher level, she came to understand the words.

"The assassin has to be highly skilled and calculative for him not to leave any traces behind."

Wu Xingxie stated, holding up the knife.

The knife used was an ordinary knife. One would think it was a regular person who did it but they knew better. There was a whole conspiracy behind the death of Prime Minister Gu and much more than Wu Xingxie could imagine.