6 Madam Wu and Master Wu

Xingxie explained Xuan's condition to Concubine Xi who was surprised that someone would try to harm the young boy.

He had just begun puberty yet his life was already being threatened.

"Xing'er..... Do you think it's the Madam?" Concubine Xi asked quietly.

If no one knew how much Concubine Xi loved Xingxie and Xuan as if they were her real children, they would think she was driving a wedge between daughter and mother.

However Xingxie had never considered her biological mother her mother. She only did what was expected because she didn't want to be unfilial.

Xingxie remained silent for a while.

"How can that be? Why would mother hurt me?" Xuan was young but he wasn't stupid. He was aware of the schemes between his other family members but had never tried to interfere. Only, he found it hard to believe that the woman who carried him for nine months could try to kill him.

"I want to know the answer to that too." Xingxie let out a bitter smile.

"I haven't told you this but Xing'er, do you remember when I was pregnant?" Concubine Xi asked. Xingxie nodded in response because she was 13 at the time.

Three years ago, Concubine Xi was pregnant with a baby boy but had a miscarriage. Xingxie asked what happened but Concubine Xi never told her the truth because she didn't want to worry the young girl.

"That time, I was fed bird's nest soup by the Madam herself. With her status, all the servants kept their mouths shut about the incident. I regret not being able to save my flesh and blood."

"What a kind mother I have." Xingxie sarcastically remarked.

"She was the one who reminded me to be kind and not do evil things but who would've known she had such a cruel side."

"Xuan'er, remember this. You will get better. I will make Madam Wu see she made a big mistake to abandon her real children."

***
"Come, my beautiful children. Mother has presents for you all." A woman called to the teenagers gathered in the room.

Dressed in an expensive dress and wearing golden hairpins, she was none other than Madam Wu, Wu Xingxie and Wu Xuan's biological mother.

"Thank you Mother Wu!" The youths expressed, bowing to the elder. Madam Wu was 33, but she looked like she was still in her 20s because she took good care of her body.

"Yun'er, a new sword for you to practice your swordsmanship." She spoke to a teenage boy who seemed to be 15 years old. He was the eldest son, but his biological mother was only a concubine. Since his mom passed away, Madam Wu took care of him as a real mother. She raised him with love and affection, providing him with the best of everything.

Wu Yunxia was a smart boy, but no matter how much he tried, he could never compare to Wu Xingxie in terms of martial arts and literature.

To think that he would lose to a girl really made him angry but he couldn't do anything since she was always in her room studying under the orders of their father. Not only was the wench so gifted, she was extremely beautiful as well.

She treated him kindly but he only saw it as fake because Madam Wu insisted Xingxie was jealous of his position as the male heir.

The other siblings thought the same. Although the Eldest Miss was talented, in their eyes, she was only trying so hard to get the attention of father and mother which they had all the time. She was the only daughter and first born after all.

Madam Wu hated her two biological children.

The reason was simple.

They weren't Master Wu's children.

This was the stain that she wanted to get rid of badly. Until they both died, she would be reminded of a past that haunted her each night.

Even though Master Wu knew of her infidelity, he didn't divorce or punish her at all. Even if he wanted to, Madam Wu's background was quite powerful and both wanted to maintain a good reputation.

So, he kept Xingxie away from her, only allowing them to meet a few times a year.

Master Wu was proud of Wu Xingxie's learning ability. The child was actually a genius, having learned how to cultivate at an early age. Not only that, she had no idea of her heritage so she followed his every words. Even though he wasn't affectionate with her, she grew up to be kind and respectful, which he used to boost his reputation in court. She was much more useful than his six biological sons and Madam Wu's son.

Wu Xuan was useless. Master Wu tried to raise him like Wu Xingxie but the child couldn't cultivate at all!
In a few more years, the child would have to die if he continued to be useless. What was the point of keeping the bastard if he couldn't be useful to his family?

Furthermore, Madam Wu would not care what happened to him at all.