77 The Scroll (4)

With the Emperor's words, the entire hall nearly went into an uproar. It made sense, the identity of the people who plotted this were unknown. For them to enter the palace without being detected, it could only mean a few things.

"Your Majesty, someone must be raising a rebellion. For them to enter the palace so easily, I'm afraid...." General Wu stopped his sentence because everyone else knew what he was going to say.

"Some of the guards have betrayed me!" The Emperor slammed his hands on the table, furious at this outcome.

Who dares to steal my throne?!

General Wu was positive this scheme wasn't his, but the drugs were all under his property. Who could have gotten hold of it other than his underlings?

There was a possibility it wasn't his men.

That's right, they wouldn't betray me. It has to be someone else doing this to frame me.
I have to resolve this incident before it points back to me.

"The celebration is cancelled. Once family members have taken the antidote, return home. Only court and military officials are to stay!" He demanded sternly, eyes filled with malice. This incident threatened his position so he had to counterattack before the enemies make another move.

After another half hour, General Tang's men arrived at the palace. However, the people were in for another surprise show.

"Father, who do think is behind all this?" Wu Yunxia asked his father in a low voice.

General Wu didn't reply right away. Even he was confused about the situation. It was a whole mess for him to think straight.

"Your Majesty!" A guard came running like the eunuch earlier. However, there was blood dripping from him.

He was clearly injured but ran hurriedly to report what was wrong.

"A-assassins have infiltrated the imperial palace. We are trying to hold them off at the moment. It's best for everyone to stay in one place. They could be anywhere." The guard narrated, increasing everyone's concerns.

"I shouldn't have came!" Someone regretted now that things have taken such a turn.

With the drug, there was an antidote for it so people felt relieved, but assassins? They were much more frightening.

***
In a dark cave, located in the Immortal Realm.
A handsome man sat on his knees before an older man. The older man sat crisscrossed, eyes closed as he was meditating. The man gave off a godly aura which would make anyone tremble but the young man was immune to it.

Everything was silent, no movements made. The atmosphere was calm as the younger man patiently waited for his master.

After what seemed like an eternity, the older man slowly opened his striking eyes, gazing straight at the man before him.

In an authoritative voice, he asked,

"Have you done what I've told you?"

The younger man replied,
"Master, the plan has been carried out. Soon, the central government will soon be in turmoil."

"Very well. How about your First Senior Brother? Has he been doing as I instructed?"

The younger man nodded, explaining everything to his master.

"First Senior Brother is currently with Young Master Xuan at the Wu estate. They have yet to know about the situation in the palace."

The older man closed his eyes and exhaled loudly.

There was a cloud of sadness in his eyes as he wanted to see his children, but because of a certain circumstance, he knew he couldn't. If it wasn't for this circumstance, his children would have known his identity already.

Seeing his master down, the young man tried to lift his mood.

"Master, as long as Eldest Miss can breakthrough and gain the Immortal status, the seal will be lifted. You can meet her then."
He reminded his master the hope that kept them going. His master truly loved his daughter and son. Each day and night, there wasn't a time where he didn't think of them.

He could only rely on his subordinates to report to him on how they were doing.
Wei was his first disciple that he raised, so he had absolute trust in the man. Which is why, he sent her to be by Wu Xingxie's side.

"I remember when Wei was still young, I sent him to check on Xing'er to see how she was doing. That time, he had never been to the Mortal Realm since the day I found him.

I was worried, but he came back happier than when he left. I asked him why he kept on smiling and do you know what he replied?"

The young man shook his head, curious of what his senior brother had said.

"He told me Xing'er learned how to wield a sword for the first time. Her stance when holding it was similar to that of mine. He described that she looked very much like me. As my firstborn, I am very proud of her. I just wish she doesn't end up like me....." The man faintly smiled, thinking back to those times. Still, he feared that his absence would cause a misunderstanding for his children.

He wanted to take them away, but the heavens didn't allow him. Whenever he got close to Wu Xingxie, his body would start burning. He couldn't hold her in his arms because he was unable to touch her.

Many years ago, on one of those nights, he secretly came to her chambers to see her, but the pain kept getting worse and worse. He clearly remembered that scorching feeling. His nose, eyes, ears, and mouth began bleeding along with the pain, but compared to the agony of not being able to be near his child, it was nothing.

All these years, he tried to find out why he couldn't get near her and when he finally did, even he was astonished by what he discovered.

*****
So, we finally meet the father.
What do you guys think is the reason he can't meet his kids?