Chapter 1

"Ugh, they always send me out to get coffee. Why me?! I'm the most klutzy one!" I mumbled to myself walking back into the Starbucks.

"What drink did you drop this time, (Y/N)?" The barista, Nick, asked me. It's sad he knows my name.

"The (f/d)," I sighed.

"Alright. One (f/d) coming right up," Nick said.

"Thank you Nick," I said.

"Yeah, yeah," he said finishing the drink then handing it to me. I headed for the door. When I was going out, another person was going in. We collided and I started falling. The drink came out of my hands and crashed to the floor, but I never felt the impact. I looked at the person I bumped into. He had black hair in a mullet and wore a black suit with a red tie. His eyes were purple and they took my breath away."Oh! Sorry!"

"That would've been a nasty fall," he said looking at the drink. I looked down too.

"It's like the world is telling me not to have a chocolate (drink)!" I ranted to myself. Then I realized the man was still holding me up. I cleared my throat. He noticed and let me go. "Thank you."

"I did nothing to deserve your thanks, I just knocked your drink out of your hand," The man said.

"Yes, but you caught me," I said.

"Let me buy you another drink," The man said.

I looked at my watch. "I don't know. I don't think the world wants me to drink anything right now."

"Alright, then, some other time," The man said.

"Fine," I said. I left the Starbucks and got into my car where the other drinks for my coworkers were waiting. Yes, I realize I left the place without getting the guy's name or phone number, but I didn't want him to buy me anything. I don't freeload.

When I got to the parking lot of my office, I parked and grabbed the drinks and the bag of pastries. I walked inside the building. I used the badge around my neck to unlock the door and walked in. When I walked in, I was swarmed by a group of people wanting their food and drinks.

"What took you so long, (Y/N)?" A girl's voice, Nancy, asked me. "Did you drop the drinks again?"

"Of course I did, who do you think I am?" I told her. We both laughed.

"What about your drink?" She asked me.

"I'd rather not talk about it," I answered, a fake tear coming from my eye.

"How did you manage to work in a Police Department if your so clumsy?" Nancy asked me.

"Don't ask me, I don't run the shots around here," I answered.

"Because you're a smart girl," I turned around to see the Police Chief, Mason. "We need brains like yours.

"Oh stop, you flatter me," I said sarcastically.

"I only speak the truth," he said with a wink. Mason is such a flirt. "Anyways, Miss (L/N). Here is your assignment, please have it complete by today." He handed me the folder in his hands then walked away.

I looked at the folder and decided it was going to be a long day. I needed to find clues in a murder in an alley. Most likely by a gang.

~Time Skip to End of Work Day~

When it was time for me to leave, I stretched my arms, then legs, and then stood up. I went around to the receptionists desk to clock out for the day and was stopped by Nancy.

"Going home?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm going home for today and I'm not coming back until tomorrow," I said.