Chapter 3

Last Updated. Feb 23, 2018

Not Edited.

ALENA

Beep.

I clock out and wave goodbye to my fellow waitresses as I finish my shift. My whole body is heavy from the strain of a busy shift.

"Why are you settling for a waitressing job Alena? You're a freaking Architect for pete's sake. Plus you were cum laude. I've seen your designs too. They're fantastic. You've got real talent girl. Anyone would want to hire you."

My bestfriend asked me when I told her about this job a month ago. Naturally, I want a job related to my profession. However, given the present circumstances, I probably will have a hard time working outside of the house. Which is why I settled for a job that I can leave easily.

Before I was hired by the restaurant, I informed them that I will only be working with them for six months. By such time I was expecting my hugeness to inhibit my moving around. So before that I am plan to maximise my income-generating efforts. I work at the restaurant from 6AM to 2PM then hurry home to put in as much hours as I can to the online English courses that I teach. At the same time, I have to complete all my assignments, requirements and quizzes for the online Master's Degree of Business Administration that I enrolled in right before my marriage fell apart. I had refused Leo's offer to pay for my MBA. Instead, I opted to earn through the online English courses and save up for the tuition. Fortunely, I paid the full tuition so despite my current circumstances I am able to procede with earning my MBA.

Looking at my watch, I hasten my steps since I have a doctor's appointment at 3PM. I'm currently at my 8th week of pregnancy and will have my first ultrasound today.

"I'm excited to finally see you little one." I said touching my stomach.

Upon reaching the clinic, I was ushered to the waiting area. After waiting for about 20 minutes, I was called and ushered in the doctor's office. She proceeded to ask me some necessary questions -- following up on some of my symptoms and on how I was coping. I quickly answered in the best way I can, excited to finally get a glimpse of my baby.

"Alright, let's proceed with the ultrasound."

I then proceed to a room where they let me recline on the exam table. This is it. I thought as we began the ultrasound.  Several moments later, I see a black and white image displayed on the screen. The doctor looks at the screen intensely making me nervous.

"Everything seems to be in order. And right there is your baby."

I focus on where the doctor is pointing and my heart swells at seeing my baby for the very first time. I can almost feel the tears escape but I hold them in.

"But ...."

"But what Doc?"

"You seem to have two ... no three babies."

Upon hearing that my heart skips a beat. Then my world starts to slow as the doctor's words sink in."

"Three babies Doc? Are you sure?"

She continues to study and adjust the image on the screen. A few minutes later, she nods her head in reply.

"Yes, it appears that you are having triplets. Congratulations."