Chapter 21

I'm finally able to publish an update on Wednesday as promised. Sadly, it's a short chapter. I apologize.

Last Updated. November 21, 2018

Not Edited.

ALENA

"Lei! Put on some sunscreen!" I shout as the young boy in question is quickly running towards the park's open area with a soccer ball.

"Done Mom!" Laila exclaims as Lucca stands up after putting on sunscreen on her legs.

"How about you Vicky?" I turn to Laila's bestfriend.

"Yep all done!" She replies.

"Alright, you girls go have fun." The girls immediately run to a free spot in the open park area to play badminton.

"Lucca come on!" Lei calls.

"Not until you put on some sunscreen!" Lucca says while applying some on his arms. "How bout you Mom?" 

"Yes my dear, I've already out some on. Thank you." I reply smiling while patting him on the head. Lei, meanwhile, returns grumbling.

"Why do I have to pu—" "Yes yes, just hurry up and put some on." Lucca says as he shoves the suncreen to Lei. Lei quickly applies the sunscreen. A few minutes later the two boys go running with a soccer ball.

"How about you Ryan, would you like some?" I ask Ryan who was putting tablecloth over the park picnic table.

"No thanks." He replies. He then looks at his watch and says "Its 11:20. Should we call back the kids in 40 minutes for lunch?"

I nod in agreement to which Ryan replies with a question "So would you like a drink while we wait?"

"That would be lovely." I reply with a smile.

"Orange juice? Water?" He asks as he opens the cooler.

"Water please." I say, taking a seat across from Ryan.

"So how's your week?" He asks as he hands me a bottle of water.

It takes me a few seconds before answering, given how eventful my week has been. "Hmmmm ... it was ... exciting but stressful I guess."

He takes a sip of soda before replying "Care to share?"

I shrug, not wanting to talk to him about Leo. "Lei and the team had a practice game last night."

"Oh yeah, I heard from Vicky. How was the game?" He says.

"It was good. A close game but the team won." I reply.

"Awesome. Well, he's certainly lively despite having a game last night." Ryan answers, pointing his bottle at Lei.

I laugh before replying "He's always been the most energetic of them all."

We continue to talk, topics varying from work to sports. It's been a long time that I've been able to do this with another adult other than Shara. Plus, being able to talk about parenting, single parenting particularly, is relieving. Not many in my circle of friends are single parents so I have no one to talk to about the struggles, frustrations, and difficulty of raising children on your own.

"But you know what ..." I pause looking at my angels playing "... I never regret having them in my life."

"I feel the same." Ryan answers quietly, looking lovingly at his daughter. He then looks at his watch and exclaims "Oh its 12:10!" He stands and calls out "Kidsssss! Lunch!"

The kids must have been hungry because they immediately stop playing and come running towards us. "Yessssss! I'm starving!" I hear Lei say as he arrives by the table.

"Clean up first." Lucca says aloud, grabbing the hand sanitizer from my bag. He signals them to put their hands out, then quickly pours a generous amount on each hand.

"Thanks Lucca!" Vicky says, followed by a chorus of thanks from the other two kids. The children then quickly set themselves around the picnic table while Ryan passes them their drinks.

"Okay everyone, look here!" I say aloud standing a few paces away from the table. I raise my phone, indicating that I am about to take a photo.

"1-2—" "Excuse me?" A voice interrupts. I turn around to see a cheerful, old couple.

"Sorry for interrupting my dear, but if you'd like I can take the photo for you." The old lady says smiling.

"Oh no need, but thank you for the offer." I reply.

"I insist. My dear the whole family must be in the photo to commemorate such a lovely gathering. You don't want to look at the photo in ten years time and have to recall if you were in this outing." She answers.

"Oh but were not a —" "Please my dear? Grant this little old lady's request?" She says sweetly.

Her husband laughs then tells me "She is a very determined woman child."

I smile then answer as I pass her my phone "Alright if you insist."

I quickly go behind the picnic table, with the only free space being beside Ryan. As I stand beside Ryan, he puts one arm around my shoulder while he puts his left hand on Vicky's shoulder.

"1-2-3-Smileeee!" The old lady signals as she takes a photo.

"Now this time, what do you kids call it? Wacky?" She says. We laugh and comply as she takes another photo.

"Thank you!" I tell her when she passes me back my phone.

"No problem my dear. Take care of your family, you are very blessed to have them." She says smiling then walks away with her husband.

I turn around, looking at the kids with Ryan serving them lunch. The kids laugh aloud as Ryan pokes fun at Lei. A family. Can this be my family?

 Can this be my family?