Chapter 31

Last edit. June 4, 2019

Not Edited.

ALENA

I make my way to the kitchen, quickly putting the glasses I used to serve water to the police in the sink. The cleaning crew that the policeman contacted has just left, leaving no trace of what happened. Still nervous, I make my rounds around the house for the second time to make sure nothing was out of place so the kids would not think that something happened. And to make sure all the windows and doors are locked.

Taking a seat in the living room sofa, I shake my head and run my hands through my hair. Stop being paranoid Alena.

"MOMMMMM!"

I jump in shock. I raise my head to see Lucca standing in the hallway. He eyes me worriedly and suspiciously  then asks "Are you okay?

I try to muster a natural smile before answering "Yes baby, no problem at all ... just hungry."

Lucca frowns deeply when Lei bursts from behind him. "MOMMM LOOK WHAT LEO BOUGHT US!"  He hurriedly sits beside me and showing me their purchases.

"Oh you went to Adventure?" I ask smiling.

"Mhmm ... and look Mom, Leo even bought me funko pops." Lei says, holding up a cute anime-looking figurine.

What did they call those? Chibi?

"Hi Mom!" Laila says bringing two small paper bags as she runs up the stairs at top speed.

"Hi ..." I answer. "Did something happen?" I ask the two boys worriedly.

"Nope." Lei says, popping the p.

"Leo bought her a necklace." Leo adds matter-of-factly. He then tugs my arm and says frowning "I'm sorry we took so long Mom. Come to the kitchen now and eat." 

I smile at his protectiveness. Before I could answer, a familiar voice says teasingly "Don't keep him waiting Alena. The kids picked that specially for you."

I pat both Lei's and Lucca's head and say "Is that so? Thank you my dear babies."

"Mom! Don't call us babies!" Lei says pouting.

Leo and I both laugh. "Now now. Let your mother have her meal." Leo says.

At that, Lei quickly moves to another topic announcing "I'll put the funko pop in my room!"

As he runs up the stairs I shout "Come back down in 30 minutes! You need to do your homework!"

"Urghhhhhhh." Lei says in response.

"Mom, can we have barbecue after homework? For dinner pleaseeee?" Laila says from the top flight of stairs.

"I will have to go to the grocery honey. How about we have it next weekend?" I reply.