Chapter 25

Hey guys! Sorry for the late update. The past few days I've been down with a fever. I feel better now, just colds and cough left. Anyway, hope you enjoy!

Last Updated. March 21, 2019

Not Edited.

LEO

Tonight's the night.

I'm driving to Alena's house feeling a mixture of nervousness and confidence. I look to my right making sure I did not forget the box of fudge brownies for the kids.

Another wave of nervousness flows through me seeing the flowers on top of the box.

My mind tells me that this will only make things between us worse. But seeing her upset yesterday, I couldn't help but want to put a smile on her face. Hopefully, this makes her smile. At the very least, I'm not totally out of sync with my brain. I look again, making sure I bought two single white roses; one for my little princess, and the other for Alena. Hopefully also, this eases her irritation about me giving her gifts. I thought, remembering how she made a big deal out of the Cafe Mocha I bought her a month ago.

A few minutes later I park on Alena's driveway. I don't get out right away. I immerse in the silence, steeling myself for what is to come in a few hours. I do not know how the kids will react, but I pray to God that, at the very least, they chose to give me a chance. But God, if you are out there, it would be wonderful if you gift me my children's whole-hearted acceptance. I take a deep breath, pick up my gifts, and proceed to walk to the front door.

Ding dong.

"Hey Leo." Lei greets as he opens the front door a few minutes later.

"Hello, where's your mother?" I ask upon entering.

"Mom's in the kitchen. Lucca's setting the table. Laila's watching TV." He answers as he runs towards the living room.

"Good evening Leo." Alena greets politely from the kitchen entryway.

"Good evening. I brought some brownies." I reply.

This grabs Laila's attention, standing up and exclaiming "YESSS! BROWNIESSSS!"

"Not until after dinner." Alena says sternly.

"And this is for you," I say handing Laila one of the roses "and for you." I turn, handing over the remaining rose to Alena.

"Wow." Laila says staring at the white rose. She then grins widely and says "Mom, my first flower!" Upon hearing that my heart soars.

"Thank you Leo!" She says before running up to her room.

"FIVE MINUTES TO DINNER!" Alena announces before returning to the kitchen.

"Can I do anything to help?" I call to Alena from the entryway.