Chapter 17

Sorry guys, a really late and short chapter. Been busy with work and will probably still be buried in work this month. So I apologize ahead of time for late and/short chapters.

Last Updated. September 6, 2018

Not Edited.

ALENA

"Ready!" Laila declares as she comes down the stairs.

"You left this." Lucca says behind Laila while waiving Laila's phone.

"Thank you Lucca." Laila replies cheerfully, giving Lucca a hug.

"All the doors and windows upstairs are locked Mom. Nothing's plugged in too." Lucca tells me, while patting Laila's head.

"Thank you baby. Now shall we go?" I ask the two who immediately nod in agreement.

After locking the main door, the kids and I make our way to school for Lei's practice game.

Although it is only a practice game, the school encourages the team's families to watch and support them. Therefore, the kids and I always make sure to not miss any of Lei's games, official game or not.

Lei was pretty nervous when he went to school ahead with his other teammates. Tonight, they will be playing against their so called 'arch-nemesis'; which is why the team is more motivated then ever to win.

Ten minutes later, I am parked in the school's parking lot. The kids come down and bring their share of the load. Before I bring down the cooler, I grab my phone to text Leo. I then see Leo's text five minutes ago.

Leo : Im here at the school entrance. Text me when you arrive.

Alena: Hey, just arrived. Can you meet us at the baseball field entrance? You can ask anyone for directions.

After clicking send, I carry the cooler and lock the car. "Come kids. Let's go."

Lucca walks beside me carrying the bag of snacks while Laila skips ahead of us bringing a few flaglets and No. 1 finger foams.

Ping.

I hear my phone indicating a text. I don't bother checking, assuming it is Leo giving his confirmation. As soon as we arrive at the entrance, I put down the cooler. "Kids let's stop here for a second. I'm waiting for a friend."

"Okayyyyy." The kids say in unison.

A few minutes pass and I notice a silhouette of a man coming closer. Leo. My heart starts beating wildly like a parade. Only now has the thought of Leo being here and meeting the kids truly sunk in. Wait. Alena. You know that is Leo just by looking at that outline? My heart continues to beat loadly but now with a warmth spreading from my heart.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts. Get a grip, Alena. I close my eyes and do a little breathing exercise to calm myself.

"You okay Mom?" I hear Lucca say worriedly while lightly touching my hand.

I give Lucca a smile before replying "Yes dear. No need to worry."

"Hey" says an all too familiar voice.

"Leo thanks for coming" I tell him with a polite smile.

"Thank you for inviting me." He replies, mainly addressing me but also glancing at the kids.

Lucca and Laila protectively stand in front of me; the former openly glares at Leo while the latter looks up at Leo worriedly.

"Kids, this is Leo McGregor. He is a dear friend of mine. I understand you are worried about last time but it was nothing. Leo was just telling me some bad news. So please behave alright?"

Laila relaxes and nods in agreement. Lucca, on the other hand, continues to glare at Leo.

"Now kids, introduce yourself." I say while patting them in the shoulder.

"I'm Lilianna, but just call me Laila. Nice to meet you." My baby says with a polite smile.

"Nice to meet you, Laila." Leo says, kneeling to be on the same level as her. He then extends his hand for a handshake, to which Laila readily reciprocates.

"Lucca?" I say, urging the protective child.

"Luccarion Williams." Lucca obliges, but still persists to glare at Leo.

Leo, bless his heart, gives him a smile then replies "Nice to meet you Luccarion. May I call you Lucca?"

"No please." Lucca replies. He then turns to me and says "Can we go inside now?"

A look of disappointment flashes through Leo's face; but he quickly replaces it with a smile as he stands.

"Shall we?" He says to me as he puts his hand on the cooler.

"Wait. Let me carry it." I say rushing to him.

He raises his hand to stop me "Don't worry Alena, I can do it. You don't have to strain yourself."

"Let's go already Mom." Laila says pulling my arm.

"Okay okay." I say. We enter the stadium and let the kids choose which row in the bleachers we should stay.

We settle in one of the middle rows, with the two kids sitting in between. But since the cooler is with Leo, I go around to his side.

"That's Lei over there ... Leighton Xavier" I tell Leo, pointing at my boy who was tying his shoes in the dugout. I then whisper to him "Leo, Laila likes citrus drinks and she likes fruit snacks ... dried mango, banana chips, and the like. Lucca prefers dairy ... soy milk, milkshakes, yogurt and he loves potato chips."

Leo nods, taking in the information.

I then say aloud "Leo can you please distribute the drinks? I'll distribute our sandwiches for dinner."

Leo proceeds to open the cooler, giving Laila an orange juice, which she gladly accepts. He then hands Lucca a bottle of soy milk, which Lucca receives hesitantly.

Phreeeeeet!

A whisle sounds, indicating the start of the game.