Chapter 9

Last Update. May 13, 2018

Not Edited.

LEO

"You okay there Leo? You're all tense. What does it say?"

I snap out of the daze I was in after reading Aunt Trish's letter. I look inside the brown envelope and see the familiar white envelope that should have been gone forever.

"Leo?"

I look to Alex and reply "It's about Alena."

Alex looks at me sympathetically, knowing that I avoid taking about her. "What did mom say?"

"She wants me to read the Alena's letter."

"I thought you threw it?"

I take out said letter from the brown envelope and hold it up. "Surprise surprise!" I say with sarcasm. "She wants me to read it."

"Will you?"

I sigh as I deliberate. "I don't know." I whisper honestly.

"Need a drink bro? I could use a drink or two."

"Sure." I stand, not in the mood to work. As we walk to the elevator, I tell my secretary to cancel all of my appointments for the day.

We opt to go to my penthouse a few blocks away to have some privacy. As soon as we arrive, I sit on the coach and run my hands through my hair while Alex immediately goes to the kitchen to grab our drink.

"Wanna to talk about it?" I hear Alex say while handing me a beer.

I accept the beer but do not answer his question. Alex understands and proceeds to sit on the couch and turn on the TV.

Do I want to delve into this again? My thoughts then turn to Alena which I have locked up all these years. Her smile. Her laugh. The way she would pucker her lips whenever she was concentrating on something. Alena ...

Then I remember the photos. The doubt I felt. The pain that shattered my heart. Do I want to relive all this feelings?

I quickly finish the beer and head to the liquor cabinet for a harder drink.

I pour a glass of scotch and quickly finish it in one go.

"Are you sure about that bro?" I hear Alex say from the living room.

I hear the worry laced with his question. I don't respond but decide to slow down with the drinks. I pour another glass of scotch and head back to the couch.

I shake my head and run my hands through my hair. I do not want to. But I have to, for Aunt Trish.

I take out the white envelope and stare at it with mixed emotions of fear and disdain.

"You'll read it?" I hear Alex say beside me.

"Better get it over with as soon as possible." I try to say with indifference. But inside me was a chaos of emotions as I take out and open the letter.

Dear Leo,

Since you will not listen to me, I am writing this down. I love you with all my heart and I never will and never have cheated against you. I do not know where these supposed pictures came from but I hope that you trust me when I tell you that I am not the woman in these pictures.

But to be honest Leo, maybe it's better this way. A marriage must be built on trust. If you don't even trust your wife to the point of not hearing her side of the story, I guess that's very telling. Maybe despite our 5-year long relationship, we were never meant to be married.

I hoped for a happy future with you, me and this child inside of me. But I guess it's not meant to be. What I ask of you though Leo, please accept this child. You may doubt if this child is yours, but I tell you with all honestly and sincerity that this child is yours. If you want tests to be done to prove this child is yours, go ahead I will not object. I do not know what the future holds for both of us but please do not leave this child fatherless. No child deserves to grow up without a father.

Leo, I love you with all of my heart.

Alena