Appear

The Next Day...

It was already late afternoon, and Milagros had not seen Conner all day. He stated that his father was going to arrive today, but she did not know what time. Milagros was nervous. Before she joined the organization and arrived in Mexico, everyone was told that they could not do things that would harm the organization's reputation.

Milagros never thought that being with a man would be harmful, but since Antonio has a past, she can see why. Antonio grew attached to her that she could have imagined. She lay on her bed thinking about the previous night.

When she was in Antonio's arms, the young woman remembered when his lips were on hers and when she felt his enthusiasm. She put her arms around herself. Conner's words never left her head; they made her think.

Did Antonio have feelings for her?

If he did, would that put the reputation of the organization at risk?

She shook her head. Milagros did not know what to think or feel. As time went by, the skies began to turn dark.

Milagros began to cook some dinner, but then a knock on the door stopped her. She turned off the stove and went to the door.

She opened the door.

Milagros stood still; her lips became a bit wide open.

"Hello Milagros, it has been a while." It was a man who was middle-aged, who looked to be in his early sixties. Even at his age, he had a handsome appearance; his greyish black hair was slicked back, he had a nice trim beard, and his skin was a bit dark. His dark brown eyes looked at her. "May I come in? My son Conner brought me here. He is in his home, and that is where I will be staying."

"P-Please come in."

The older man entered as he looked around the house. He sat on the sofa as Milagros got two cups and poured coffee into both. She handed a cup of coffee to him, and then she sat opposite him.

"M-Mr...I-"

"Milagros, Conner told me that you are seeing a man from this village, that you both were getting...physical. Is this true?"

"It almost got physical." She looked down at her cup of coffee. "I'm sorry, sir. I shouldn't..."

She was interrupted. "Don't worry. I didn't come to Mexico to scold you. I came here to straighten out things, especially with my son Conner. He is still immature despite his age." He stood up and looked out the window as he took a sip from his coffee. "It has been years since I came to this village. I almost forgot how beautiful it was."

This caught Milagros' interest. "You came here before?"

"Yes, when I was younger. I..."

Another knock was heard on the door. Milagros stood and went to open the door.

It was Antonio, and he entered. "Milagros, I came to see if you were alright. I couldn't arrive earlier, for I was helping the others clean the festivities." He hugged her tightly. Then, Antonio saw the other occupant in the house. "Who are you?"

The man turned and stopped in his tracks. His mouth slightly opened. It was as if he was at a loss for words.

"Sir, this is Antonio. Antonio, this is my boss and Conner's father, Anthony."