Vows

Antonio and Milagros told the village about their engagement and pregnancy. The people were happy for the couple, and they insisted that the wedding should happen sooner before the baby was born. The villagers even volunteered to help set up the wedding.

It had been another month since the announcement, and it was the day of the wedding. Milagros invited her family to the wedding; some came. She was in her former house with many women with her. Her long hair was put in a nice bun, and a flower crown on her hair. Her wedding dress was simple yet elegant with flower decorations. Her make-up was light which made her face glow.

Deep down, the young woman was nervous, for she was almost about to get married. Then her father entered and hugged his daughter. "You look, beautiful daughter. I thought I would never see the day where I would walk you to the aisle. Although, I wished it was a more lavish wedding."

Milagros gave a soft chuckle to her father. "Dad, I don't need a big wedding. I know  you are not fully accepting of Antonio."

"I can't help it. I barely know the lad. On the other hand, as a father, there is a part of me that can't accept the fact that you are a grown woman."

"I know, dad, but you are going to be a grandfather soon."

Her father gave a slight grunt. "I am still too young to be a grandfather. I wished you would have waited."

Milagros gave out a slight gulp. "Dad, life is full of surprises, but trust me when I tell you that I am making a difference here. Antonio treats me well, not like many people in the states."

Just when her father was about to speak, a woman entered. "Milagros, it is time."

Father and daughter looked at one another. "It is time, daughter."

She nodded in agreement. "Yeah, dad."

.............................................................................

There were many people in their seats.

The couple decided to get married by law instead of church. Antonio and Milagros were going to wed outside as well as their reception.

There was a judge that held the documents. Antonio stood by the table. He had his hands together; deep down, he was nervous yet excited at the same time. His dark raven hair was slicked back. He was nicely shaven. He wore a nice white buttoned shirt with a white undershirt and a nice pair of black slacks and shoes.

Then, someone announced Milagros' arrival. Everyone stood as Milagros, along with her father, began to walk down the aisle. When Antonio saw her in her wedding dress, he felt that his heart stopped beating for a moment.

To him, she was very breathtaking. A tear formed in his eye and dripped down. He wiped off his tear as Milagros was before him. He then looked at Milagros' father, who had a stern look on his face. "I don't know you that well, but my daughter chose to stay here with you. I may not be with her all the time, but if you hurt her or make her cry..." A smile made its way to his face. "I will kill you."

Antonio gave a slight smile, but deep down, he felt nervous. "Y-Yes, sir."

Her father gave Antonio his daughter's hand and went to his seat.

Then everyone present saw down. Antonio and Milagros looked at one another and then to the judge.

"We are all gathered here today to wed these two into marriage. They have come here in their own accord." He then put the documents on the table before them. "First, before they sign, they both wrote their vows." The elderly judge looked at Milagros first and nodded.

Milagros took out a paper, unfolded it, and began to read. "Antonio, when I first met you, you were like a wandering soul, trying to find purpose. When I saw you, I slowly began to realize that you and I were not so different. I came here to help children, but when I met you, you secretly asked me what I am living for. You and I had ups and downs, happiness and sorrows, and in the end, we are standing before one another to spend the rest of our lives together. I accept you as my husband until my last dying breath and promise to be loving, loyal, and faithful."

When she was finished, Antonio took out a piece a paper and began to read. "Milagros, before you came to my life, I was without purpose. When you came, my heartbeat with life. You have brought out the happiness within my being that was locked away for so long. You are all that I ever wanted in life, and here we both stand, taking this big point in our lives. I swear that I will love you, cherish you, protect you, be loyal and faithful to you until my last dying breath."

The judge then handed Antonio a pen, which he signed the documents. He then gave the pen to Milagros, and she then signed the papers.

Then Antonio got out the rings and gave one to Milagros. He first put the ring on her, and she did the same.

"By the power invested in me, I announce you husband and wife." He then looked at Antonio. "You may kiss your wife."

Antonio looked at Milagros and smiled. He got a hold of her head and pulled her to him, and kissed her.

Everyone got up from their seats and cheered.

However, from afar, Anthony stood hidden as he watched his son's wedding. Deep in his heart, he was happy for his son. "Congratulations, Antonio. May you finally be happy."