Uncertainty

It had been a week since the event; Antonio and Milagros had not seen one another during that time. The village had also learned that Antonio's grandfather passed away so suddenly. There were many preparations for the funeral. 

Out of respect, Anthony decided that it would be respectful if everyone would pay their respects, even though his presence was not wanted. The people of the organization arrived in the village to pay respect. Everyone went inside the small made church of the village. Everyone wore black. The casket had a glass where everyone could see the dead body.

Milagros stood along with some female co-workers and stood in the back of the church. She noticed Antonio sitting on the corner, and he stood by his grandfather's casket. He stared down without emotion; his eyes held nothing but emptiness. He closed his eyes and walked out of the church without saying a word. Many people murmured,

The young woman wanted to speak with him, and she quietly left the church. She saw him walking afar. She took a deep breath and ran towards Antonio. "Antonio!" she called out to him.

Antonio stopped, but he did not turn. He put his hands inside his pockets.

Milagros stood behind him.

Neither said a word; only a cold breeze hit them. "I-I am sorry about your grandfather..."

Antonio did not respond.

"Antonio, please talk; let us put the past behind us. I don't want us to feel anger, sadness, and guilt. I-"

"Are you still going home?" he asked all of a sudden.

Milagros was a bit surprised at the sudden question. "Antonio..."

"I heard many people of the organization were getting ready to leave. When will you leave?"

The young woman sighed. "Tomorrow..." She noticed Antonio cringed at her response. Slowly, she walked closer, raised her hand, and gently touched his shoulder. "I came here for a purpose, Antonio. I would never have imagined that things would have come this way during my stay." She paused for a moment as if trying to think of what to say next. "I never would have thought that someone would fall in love with me..."

Antonio turned; his expression was saddened. "I never would have imagined that I would love someone. You changed me. You gave me kindness that I never received even from my family. Now that my grandfather is dead, part of me is dead. All the crap I endured has gone to waste. In the end, he could never love me. Soon my grandmother will be gone. Her heart is weak, and she would do anything to join my grandfather. I will then be alone in this world."

"Antonio you..."

"Stop, you know it's true. There will be nothing for me anymore. I have hurt you so badly that I can't forgive myself. I have to go." Before Milagros could speak, he left quickly.

Milagros stood still, tears formed in her eyes.

"Milagros." she turned and saw Anthony behind her.