First Hunt

Mheetu

Outside in the middle of darkness, the evening has just been over. It fills up small specks of light, that shine like a million fireflies with the blackness little by little fading. The moon has just arrived. Pride lions are now making their slow walks up Pride Rock going straight to the cavern for bed.

We have just finished eating dinner and on tonight's menu was antelope. The hunting party surprisingly had captured two! It was plenty to go around. I was absolutely impressed and so was King Kovu. I guess our Pride is lucky huh? I follow my wife Haiba inside the large cavern with our 'almost' teenage son Mosi, who playfully skips behind us.

"Alright Mosi, bedtime!" Said Haiba.

Mosi pounces in front of her. Haiba pushed him more forward with her head; as most mothers would do to their cubs when they're trying to show seriousness. Mosi groaned as he lays down in his normal sleeping spot which is between Haiba and I. Haiba lays down on his right side while I took left.

"Good night kiddo! You have a big day tomorrow." I say.

Mosi raises a brow. "A big day for what, dad?"

"I am going to show you on how to improve your hunts more better."

"Really?! Oh boy!"

Haiba giggles at his excitement. She then licks the top of his head, which causes his brown growing hair tuft to fall over his eyes.

"Alright, Good night Mosi! You don't want to wake up in the morning all tired and not ready to practice hunting with your father. You're going to need all of your strength!" She said.

Mosi crosses his furry arms and laid his head down over his front paws. He closed his eyes bluish green eyes with a small smile.

I smile at Haiba and whisper, "Good night, my love!"

She smiles back. "Good night, dear."

••••••••••••

Clouds dominate the morning sky leaving transitory patches of blue. Though they are mostly white there is a hint of greyness, a suggestion that rain may play a part in the day to come.

"Dad, dad, dad! Get up, it's morning!!" A voice loudly called.

I slowly open my bluish green eyes. "It's what?"

"Morning!"

I yawned and raise my head up from off my front paws. I see standing directly in front of me is my son Mosi. He has a huge exciting smile on his furry young face.

I could not help but to chuckle at him. He must have been up before sunrise patiently waiting for me to wake up.

"Good morning, son!" I greet. "Let's begin your hunt shall we?"

"Yes!!"

Mosi excitedly runs out of the cavern first. I stand up on my four paws with a long stretch and had yawned once more. Haiba is just now waking up and sees me getting ready to leave.

"Good morning, Mheetu!" She greeted. "Off to take Mosi on his first real hunt?"

I head bud her and then licked her left cheek. "Yep! The kid couldn't wait."

Haiba did not say a word but laugh at me. I shake my head while rolling my eyes.

I grinned. "Reminds me a lot of when I was his age, except I had no one to teach me how to hunt. I have learned all on my own! That is how I was able to survive this whole time."