Old Times

Zawadi

This morning wasn't gray, but by soothing lavender and brilliant amber. The colors merged into neon pink and peach. The sunrise spreads pinkish glow and the clouds tinted; having the colors spread across the sky announcing the new day.

My son Heru and I are both found resting underneath a large tree. I was the first to wake up as I yawn with a stretch. We are still traveling to the Pride Lands. So far it has only been 2 days. Hopefully without any delays, tomorrow morning or afternoon we should have made it there. So far, we have been traveling fine. Heru knows the quickest, most safest route to the Pride Lands. I trust him to lead towards our destination. He has traveled to the Pride Lands a lot before and has more knowledge than I do about it.

But before we hit the road again, we should catch ourselves breakfast and water to help boost up our energy.

"Good morning, Heru!" I greet, while standing up on my four paws.

Heru opened his eyes with a big yawn and shook out his mane. "Morning, mom!"

"We should hunt breakfast and find a good water source before we start hitting the road again." I say, while scanning my eyes around.

I have no idea where we are right now. This land is new to me. All I can see is a bunch of tall grass and trees. No prey or water is nearby. Maybe we have to explore around in order to find it. But Heru and I should be careful of our surroundings. We don't know who may rule this land. This isn't the Dawn Lands anymore.

Heru stood up on his four large paws with a nice stretch and gave the cool morning breeze a sniff.

"I smell buffalo..." he said.

I sniffed the air too and nod. "Yeah, me too! Let's go search for it together."

Heru and I walk side by side through the tall grasses following the scent of the buffalo. There is probably a herd of them close somewhere. We continue walking in silence but cautiously. So far, we have not encountered any danger here yet which is a good thing.

"I see something straight ahead by that tree mom, come on!" Said Heru. He sprints off quick leaving me behind.

"Okay son, so slow down! I'm not fast anymore like I use to be." I reply, while jogging behind him trying to catch up.

Heru stops running once he arrived at the tree. He stares down at something with suspense. I stop jogging and walk up to his left side trying to see what is going on.

"It's a buffalo carcass and it seems to be pretty fresh too. Something must have killed and left it behind." Said Heru. He touches the half eaten carcass with his paw examining it.

"Well, whoever it was they did not get to finish their breakfast obviously. I'd hate to steal, but we need this Heru. Who knows how long it'll be before we can find another meal. We should try to eat some of it quickly before the predator returns." I suggested.

"You're right, mom. Let's start now!"

Heru and I began to tear pounds of meat from off the carcass and ate as much as our stomachs can handle. I always loved the taste of buffalo meat and this one is very fresh which is even better.

"Yum!" I smiled.

Heru takes another bite off the carcass. "So delicious!" He compliments, while chewing.

"Hey, someone is messing with our food!" Said a voice.

Heru and I both stopped eating. We twitch our ears trying to figure out where the sound is coming from.

"Did you hear something?" I ask.

"Yeah, I did. But I don't know what it was." Heru replied, puzzled.