Trespassers

Zawadi

I stood there for a moment under the gloomy clouds. Then water began to sprinkle, cold, and wet on my fur. Drops of water trickled down my body as I stood there frozen, my gaze fixed on the morning's horizon, staring at the beauty of the whole scenario. As the clouds continued crying, I turned and walked away.

I had to take cover quick and joined the Pride under the trees. Unlike most lion prides, the Chewa Pride do not have a den or cave to hide in. So instead we rest under large trees. Doing this, I am avoiding a common cold from the weather. I need all my strength and good health since I do plan on traveling to the Pride Lands very soon with my son Heru.

Speaking of Heru, where is he?

I scan my eyes around. I can see all the Pride members except for my son. Maybe he is still on morning patrol? My daughter in- law "Tish" walks pass.

"Tish!" I called.

She paused in her steps and look over her right furry shoulder. "Yes, Zawadi?"

"Have you seen Heru anywhere?" I ask.

She shook her head. "No. I was just going around the whole Pride asking if they have seen him as well. Last time I saw Heru, was when he left to go on morning patrol. He usually comes home right away when it's bad weather."

"We should go look for him."

"If we go, who will watch over the Pride?"

"I will." Answered a voice.

A lioness younger than us steps forward. It is Tish and Heru's first born daughter, "Hanaa". She is next in line for the throne to become Queen of the Chewa Pride.

Tish looks unsure and worried at her daughter. "I don't know Hanaa. This was never a part of your Queen lessons. I didn't have a chance to go over it yet. You'll be so unprepared!"

Hanaa rolled her eyes with annoyance. "Mom trust me, I got this! I have watched you and dad for years leading our Pride. What worse can possibly happen?"

"I know but-"

I walk up to Tish and place my paw on top of her own. I smile, "Trust your daughter, Tish. She knows what's best! I believe that she can do watch over the Chewa Pride until we return with Heru. The search shouldn't be long!"

Tish lower her ears. She sighs while closing her eyes. "Alright."

Hanaa smiles wide and hugged her mother tight. "Thanks mom! I promise, I will not fail you or dad."

Tish raise her ears back up. She smiles warm and nodded. "I trust you, Hanaa. One day your father and I won't be here. It will be your job to guide our Pride the rest of the way. This will be your first real Queen task!"

Hanaa did not say anything but nod her head with seriousness.

"See ya later!" I say, while leaving from underneath the large tree entering the rain again.

Tish waved at her daughter before following behind me. I truly do hope we can find Heru and that it will not take us all day.

Tish leaps up to my side. "What if something happened to Heru? My daughters need a loving father."

I shake my head. "Don't say such a thing, Tish! I am sure Heru is fine. Think positive okay?"

"I know Zawadi, it's just so odd ya know? He's never been out this long before on any patrol. Especially if it's raining! Heru hates rain."

"Maybe he took shelter somewhere and waited to come home until the rain stops."

Tish nodded. "Yeah, that could be true."