A Mystery

Heri

Im laying down at the edge of Pride Rock's long ledge. My emerald green eyes scan across the kingdom, the sun's warm rays glowing down on my light peach-ish fur. My parents told me to watch over the Pride until they return home from helping Kwame and Amai find their missing daughter. I really do hope that they can find her or at least some clues that could possibly help them. It seem like it has been only an hour since they have departed.

I still feel hesitant about Auni joining the search party. She should have stayed home with the other expected mothers, elders, and cubs who could not tag along. But she insist that she could go on. My aunt Maha promised me that she will look after Auni for me. I do trust her words, which had made me relax my fur a bit.

I have never felt this protective over anyone before besides my family of course. But there is a difference when it comes to Auni like wow. She is like that special rare, gorgeous growing flower that glows only within and something that you have to constantly watch over. You don't want anything destructive to happen to that little flower. My job as her fiancé, future King, and father to our unborn cub (or cubs) is to make sure that the flower (Auni) is getting all of its soil (love), sun (protection), and water (health).

So far, the Pride Lands have been silent and calm without any danger lurking around. I am thankful for that cause if it was, I don't know how I would defend Pride Rock on my own without my parents here at my side. I do know  that eventually one day my parents will officially be gone and join the heavens. I won't have a choice but to defend then. But for now, I am still not ready to take over the crown. I enjoy watching my parents rule in front of me instead. They inspire and motivate me a lot. I am lucky to have such strong parents.

"Heri?" A sweet voice called.

My right ear twitches. I recognize that sweet warm voice from anywhere. I turn my head to the left seeing my parents walk up the last rocky step. They come towards me with big smiles.

"Hello, mother and father!" I greet. I sat halfway up. "How did the search go?"

"Hello son! The search went great. We have found the missing cub Iniko!" Said father, happily.

Mother nods her head. Pure excitement is spread all over her face. "Yes! She is alive, safe and sound."

I look surprised. "Oh wow, really? Where did you guys find her at?"

"It turns out the cub that Jamila had adopted from your Uncle Kion is Kwame and Amai's daughter!" Mom answered.

I look mind blown. "No way?!"

Father nodded. "Yes, it was so darn incredible! Who would have ever known that this whole time we had someone else missing child at Pride Rock?! Jamilia has taken good care of her for the short time being and was very responsible. She was nice enough to help raise someone else's child which was very sweet and kind of her. She could have turned down the offer if she wanted. Kiara, we must host something special for Jamilia! What do you think?"

Mother beams. "Of course honey! That sounds really nice. Jamila shall be honored and appreciated! We should do it before Kwame and Amai leave though."

"Yes. I will go around the entire kingdom tomorrow at dawn and speak to some animals to help get started. We should keep this on the low between us 3, Kwame, and Amai. I want Jamila surprised!"