Chapter 3

~

~Tobirama's POV~

Once the old lady started scribing something in an ancient-looking script, my brother decided to answer my questions which both these elders had left hanging.

"Tobirama, the shinobi you encountered at the edge of this territory is this place's defense mechanism. Like we have ninjas to protect the village and me as Hokage to lead them, this part of the forest is also protected."

"Against whom?" I asked, my nerves settling down with every word I received as an answer.

"Anybody who trespasses with an intention to hurt these people and destroy this place."

"Why lunge at me then? Don't they know I am your brother?" Anija laughed at this. "Tch."

"Because this is your first time coming here. Nobody on the scouting recognizes you by face but since the shinobi did not attack you, I suppose they recognized you." I let out a breath and tensed my muscles again. I would not let my guard down here especially when I felt such hostile aura from somewhere.

"Anija, what is this place?"

Hashirama settled himself in a manner he always did whenever he was about to tell a long history. I too, straightened my back in a comfortable position and waited for my brother to start the tale.

"When Madara and I were scouting the area to be formed the current Country of Fire, I came across this forest. I decided it would be a good meditating place for the time being but I was not welcomed then as I am now. More than a few hundred weapons were launched at me at that time." He stopped to laugh. "I, being the Hokage, wanted to affirm my authority, however also desired to know the identity of the strange offenders, so I approached them with a white flag. I was viewed as such a person that everywhere there were people here, I could not let my guard down. Passing the sea of people, all hidden behind the trees, I came to the biggest tree where sat Morino-baa. I beseeched audience with her privately and she consented. And then I asked the things you ask now and then I was given the answer." He took a breath before continuing, "the world we live in, is not actually nice, with constant wars and bloodshed. When I asked Morino-baa about her situation she answered me with this that this place was a refuge for the ones who were rejected by their clans and families at birth or some time later in their lives. Wandering and looking for a place to belong to, they would be invited here. Morino-baa is connected to every tree in this country; she has that power. She welcomes and invites those who don't belong and takes in those who are left here. Coming to here of such a situation, I immediately offered settlements for these people in the village but I was strangely refused, not by the head, but by the people. I insisted but it was in vain. I came to know that this was their home and they would never move from here and so, instead of stripping these wonderful people of their land, I took them under my protection, giving them their space and any other thing they might ever need. Morino-baa looks after all these people and marry them off to suitable men, making sure they would never suffer what they had before they came to this forest. She calls this forest, Morinome."

"Why did I never know about this?" I asked, slightly angry about my brother keeping such a matter a secret from me.

"Well, firstly, you have a thing against the Uchiha, so I did not want you to go against these people as well-"

"I don't hate the Uchiha, I am careful of them! There's a difference." Anija dropped his shoulders and rubbed his neck.

"And you are short-tempered as well..."

"Tch. I have nothing against women. Except my impatience at their nonsense sometimes." I answered truthfully, not targeting any particular female ever to have encountered.

"What? Are you insulting Mito? Tobirama!" I slapped my forehead.

"I am not!"

"HAHAHAHAHA! I am only joking brother."

The old lady suddenly cleared her throat and got our attention. I had not known I was so absorbed in my brother's story that I had shifted to face him. Morino-baa nodded to anija, who nodded back and suddenly the scroll she had been writing into, vanished in a puff of smoke. Sensing the cabin and beyond for any changes, I noticed the chakra of that shinobi I met at the edge of the forest. He was coming this way.

Was there trouble?

By the pace he arrived to the back of the cabin, it seemed like there was something wrong. I readied myself for combat if need arose. The chakra neared and neared and a thought crossed my mind that once I took notice of, my guard had dropped.

This old lady was surely told to arrange a marriage partner for me but the person that would soon be here was a man. Was she misunderstanding something or simply making fun of me? What sexuality does she think I have?

I was starting to accept as my brother was narrating that perhaps I do need a wife because some time earlier Hashirama had mentioned that he would be resigning soon and when I would become Hokage, I would be in need of someone who could help me in my position, like anija had Mito-san. However, the reason I kept denying a want of a partner was simply because someone of my standard could not possibly exist. I don't look for beauty in a woman but strength and intellect. Could such a woman exist? Perhaps not.

As I was absorbed in my thoughts, a creak in the wood made me aware of the chakra again and I stood up in my battle stance because that chakra was leaking with hostility and it made me believe that this man was dangerous. He was either a spy or an assassin. I began unsheathing my sword as the naked foot of the man came into view. My weapon was completely out and threatening the same time the man revealed himself.

There were more than one gasp of surprise.

From anija and the old lady at me unsheathing my sword.

From the person at whose throat I pointed my sword.

And finally mine, at the recognition that the one who had been misunderstanding from the beginning was me...

Because...

The shinobi who had attacked me...

Was a woman!

~

~

Enjoy Reading~

Thank You~

Itachi_Warrior desu~ ^/_\^

~