Chapter 34

~

~Niyo's POV~

We both rose early because we had a job to do and plans to go over. People were going missing in this village, especially women so Ryuunosuke asked for the cover of a couple since it would be easy to slip by if we don't strike suspicion of being a lonely wanderer.

Our plan was to casually roam the village and ask people questions as subtly as possible. I got dressed first and prepared my scrolls while Tobirama dressed. My shoulder was hurting again and accompanying it was the fear in Ryuunosuke's eyes when he realized I was a Tanogata. I rubbed my temples to soothe my headache and stood up but my scrolls fell out of my hands when a sharp pain rooted my left upper torso. "Goddammit."

"You ok?" I looked at Tobirama when I realized he caught me wincing. I managed a nod but he was not satisfied with it. "I know it's your shoulder, the one that got poisoned. You were uncomfortable even in your sleep."

"Yeah... something's up. It's been aching since we arrived here." I answered truthfully.

"Do you have any idea why?"

"Not yet. But really, something doesn't feel right here." I was patted on my head by the Senju who grabbed my scrolls for me and headed outside after handing them back.

"That's what we are here for."

~

"Ooh my! You have such lovely eyes! Tobio-san, you are a very lucky man!" The old guy we bought some dango from, complimented me. It would have been nice to hear but this was the third guy who said something about my eyes and all of it was making me uneasy. I wasn't one to lose my shit so easily but I felt really uncomfortable being here.

"Thank you. I certainly am." Tobirama answered and put his arm around my shoulder for the effect.

"So how much of the village have you seen?" The woman working with the old guy asked us, handing us the tea we had ordered. Restaurants were the best for information gathering.

"I think we would go see the spring before calling it a day. What do you say dear?" I asked my 'husband' and rolled my eyes when no one was looking. I hated pet names.

"Sure why not."

"Oh no no! You mustn't go near the spring!" The woman ushered us and both our ears perked up. Seeing the question on our faces, the woman continued, "people have disappeared near the spring in these past few days... it's not safe there... especially in the water..."

"Oh nonsense Miku!" The old guy intervened and smacked the woman so hard that she started tearing up. "She is a nut job, she doesn't know what is right half the time."

"So the place is safe?" Tobirama asked.

"Yes, perfectly safe." He grabbed the woman by her ear and led her away. "Come away you stupid wench! I shouldn't have taken you in after your parents died! You are nothing but trouble!"

That old guy was really pissing me off, treating the woman like that. I was about to get up to give him a lesson but Tobirama pulled my arm back and glared at me.

"Maintain your cover," was all he said before he got up himself and went to the old guy. They talked, it was out of earshot, and the old guy looked scared when Tobirama came back. That guy was no longer mistreating the woman.

"Well, that's one way of doing things." I commented and got up. "Come on, to the fishy spring.

"Did you find anything else fishy about all the conversations we have had with the villagers so far?"

"Yeah. They keep mentioning my eyes, it's probably nothing but it's bothering me. I mean, you have red eyes for goodness sake and they think orange is unusual."

"Is red bad?"

"What? No. It's beautiful." Clearing my throat, I continued, "b-but the way everybody seems to be paying attention to my eyes only is making me anxious and the closer we are getting to the spring, the more my shoulder is aching so I definitely think something is up."

Tobirama stopped, having made the connection I did when I ended my banter. "You don't think it's..."

"I will send for backup."

"There is no need. I can handle it and so can you. You are in top form."

"We don't know the numbers and just the two of us cannot protect the villagers and fight at the same time." I reasoned and used reverse-summoning for backup. My message-scroll would pop-up directly in Hashirama-sama's office. "Let's go."

Once we were at the spring, I stopped to admire the beauty of it. The water was crystal clear in the moonlight and sparkled, reflecting the white orb in the sky. The breeze was not only cool but gentle as well.

Whether or not we were right about the nature of the mission, people were missing and we knew it had something to so with the water and that was where we began our search. Regardless of getting wet, we both stepped in the spring, maintaining a perimeter and let our chakra sense anything out of the ordinary.

I made the mistake of looking at Tobirama again and my heart skipped a few beats. He looked heavenly. His hands were over the water and where his chakra came in contact with the liquid, small droplets flew up and dispersed in the air around him. The moon shone his silhouette and made the water droplets shine.

I was brought out of my trance when Tobirama's hand stopped over a certain place and he looked at me. I couldn't comprehend his look and his warning to get out fell a little late on my ears. He jumped out of the water and I was going to follow suit but there was something in the water that was draining my chakra and keeping me in place.

For what?

For the quick lightning that hit the water and anything in it...or anyone.

This was a trap, we knew it. But we had to spring it to bring out the people behind it and when the huge wave of electricity went through my body and I was beginning to lose consciousness, I was proved right.

Standing in the distance was a smirking Takumi with a small army behind him.

Shit.

~

Enjoy Reading~

Vote and Comment!

Thank You~

Itachi_Warrior desu~ ^/_\^
~