Family or Cage?

I parked my two wheeler in the parking and removed my scarf that was earlier covering my face and looked at my reflection in the mirror

I parked my two wheeler in the parking and removed my scarf that was earlier covering my face and looked at my reflection in the mirror. I had bags under my eyes, my hair was a mess, and my shoulders hurt because of the weight of my bag. These submissions and exams are definitely going to be the death of me someday, I thought. After wiping my sweaty face with my scarf I fixed my hair.

I need to look presentable in my house, funny, isn't it? I live in a goddamned cage. My parents are like the typical Indian orthodox family who want to get their daughters married as soon as her menstrual cycles start. I have begged and cried in front of them to give me just five years to complete my LLM program and get the degree. Becoming a successful lawyer was the only goal of my life but my parents wanted me to get married and have a baby as soon as possible. My marriage was the only goal.

I looked at my reflection one last time and gave myself the pep talk about staying calm. This is my everyday routine. I turned on the priority mode on my phone before entering my house. My father has a habit of checking my phone, sometimes. He thinks I am dating someone and probably I have slept with him already.

Little does he know my life sucks to the core. Assignments and exams are the only things that fuck me hard every single day.

I walked into the house taking a deep breath. I looked at my watch, 7.20 pm it read. Shit, I am twenty minutes late! Being twenty minutes late might be normal for most of the people, but for me it wasn't.

"Why are you so late?" My mother asked as soon as I entered the drawing room. Normal parents would be worried about their child for being late but my parents were anything but worried. I could literally feel the anger in her voice.

'Way too greet your daughter. Yayy!' My subconscious mocked.

"Traffic," I simply shrugged and dropped on the couch like a dead person. My dog, Toby, came running towards me and I patted him smiling, he is love!