Chapter Two: Safety

Malia 

I found Malachi, I was shocked he was even alive. He looked so scared. He was sleeping. 

"Hey Malachi wake up." I said. 

He looked at me shocked that i was even alive. Now the only real concern was finding my Dad. I really hope he is alive. 

"Malia. Mom is dead. She got attacked when she was picking me up from school. We were on our way to pick you up because of what they saw on the news this morning. Everyone went crazy." My fifteen year old brother said. We went to the same school but his building is on another campus then mine. 

"Where's Dad is he alive?" I asked.

"No. The car got overrun so Mom and I had to run 3 blocks." He said. 

Well shit. I can't live without my parents I don't even know how to survive myself. How am I going to take care of three people? We can't stay here because we will not survive. 

"Kai you know we can't stay here right? It's not safe here at all." I said. 

"I know. I was planning on leaving tonight if you didn't come sooner." He said. 

A fifteen year old out in this kind of world. I think not. I went upstairs and packed a bag. My dad has weapons since he is a hunter. That's what his job was at least. He would score us food and we wouldn't have to go to the grocery store to fend for ourselves. We lived in a neighborhood that was outside of a farm. We grabbed all the food we can get all the weapons and we each had a bag. Nadia had a bag of weapons and bullets and some blankets. I had a bag of food and water and some bullets and Kai had a bag of more food and clothes. I didn't want him carrying any source of machinery , only a small pistol really with five loaded ammo. We were ready. 

Nadia's parents died when she was little. We met through our mothers and our mothers met through hospitals. My mother was a top notch surgeon while her mother was a top notch nurse. Her dad was the sheriff. They both got hit by a drunk driver when she was seven years old. It was really sad. So ever since then Nadia has been through a lot of group homes trying to get her life together. So we've always been sisters really. That's why she is always with me. 

"Malia. I think it's time." Nadia said. 

"Okay. Let me get Kai from his room." I said. 

I walked upstairs to my room i looked around. This is where i grew up. I had my first kiss, lost my virginity and I was " depressed". This is my home. I don't want to leave. I walked into my little brothers room to find him sleeping in his bed. 

"Kai. We have to go." I said. 

"Malia come here the t.v is running." She said. 

Kai and I rushed downstairs. 

"Warning. Our Country is in evacuation. If anyone is listening to this that is alive, there will be refugee in the following states, California , North Carolina, New York , Maryland, Atlanta." The guy kept continuing on what states are available. 

"Okay so if we go to this refugee camp by Friday I think we could make it." Nadia said. 

"You're right. We need to go now. We're losing daylight." I said. 

We grabbed each of our bags with our weapons and clothes and food , enough to survive for at least two weeks since that is how long it will take to go to the beach since that is where the rescue quarantine is.

Day Three 

We've been out here for a while. We haven't come across a human. I have only killed five of the dead. Nadia and I just call them the dead since we don't have a better name for them. We found a house in the middle of the woods just a mile from here. No one has been in it for two days. We've been waiting. We figured we can just camp here for a day and then move out. 

We still have a lot of food. I made sure to pack what ever we had from the house. I miss our house. I miss my mom and dad but deep down i knew they would want me to protect Kai. I just wish they would teach me to survive even. I can't take care of myself i don't even know what i am doing.