5: Young, dumb and broke.

Huffing out a breath, I braced myself after a mini pep talk session with myself just outside the kitchen.

I stretched my lips with my fingers trying to form a smile and look cheerful when instead, I was crying and trembling on the inside.

"Hey Mum." I chirped with extra sweetness and winced slightly at my own tone but luckily mum didn't notice any difference as she smiled at me.

I took a seat on the stool and faced her, my mind made and my plan set in motion. "What's for dinner?" I asked casually.

"Steak." She smiled widely.

Nodding my head, I returned her smile. I eyed her once more and noticed her happy smile. Anyone could tell she was happy and was in a good mood.

Now's my chance.

Taking up the opportunity, I prepared a mental speech before opening my mouth. "That's great." I paused for a sec because nervousness suddenly gnawed in me.

You can do this, Melo. You got this. It's a piece of cake, just say 'I want $500'. Easy.

But it was not.

"Mum-"

"Do you think this will be enough?" A bowl of salad was shoved in front of my face cutting me off and just like that, the courage I had managed to master up to ask for the money vanished in the thin air.

I maintained my cool and answered.

"Of course. It's just the four of us anyway." I chuckled at her dubious expression.

"Oh, I didn't tell you?" It was more like a statement than a question.

A sinking feeling set in me at her words. Something felt off and my skin pricked in anticipation of the said news I was yet to receive from mum.

"The Kings are coming over for dinner."

And just like that, I felt my soul leaving my body.

*

"You got a nice car out there, Jayden." My dad said with a wide grin on his face.

At his mere sentence, both Harper and I stiffen on our seat. I felt eyes boring on me and saw the nasty smirk of Jayden which he managed to throw my way without anyone else noticing it on the dinner table.

"Thanks Marc." Jayden gave his ever charming smile to my dad who looked at him dearly. They got in tune with their car talks, like always.

My dad was pretty stiff and cautious around boys my age and especially the ones I was acquaintance with but Jayden was an exception. Why? Because just like dad, Jayden was crazy for cars and that's how he won over my dad.

Dad probably sees the son he never had in Jayden.

"Mercedes are laun..."

"Did you read a column in the paper magazine, about the upcoming fashion..."

I rolled my eyes at the exchanges that was going on in the dinner table. Harper as always joined the conversation with mum and Clair and I did what I always did, tune them out continuing to stuff my mouth with food.

"Here, eat this." Mum lovingly put more food on Jayden's plate. She should be feeding us more than some next door kid.

Sometimes, looking at my parents actions and the obvious love they have for Jayden makes me want to yell adopt him already but I never did until...

Jayden suddenly started choking on his food while Harper broke away from whatever trance she was in as she gaped at me from beside me. Mum handed Jayden a glass of water while Dad grew red as if he was embarrassed, on the other hand Clair had the most unexpected reaction, she burst out laughing.