17: Secrets.

I should've known helping the devil wouldn't do me any good, it would devour me without a second thought if the time seemed right.

A knock on the door had me lifting my head up and away from the books to see who it was. Jayden's head poked in through his bedroom door. "After this, come help me in the kitchen." Jayden ordered, before his head disappeared.

Gritting my teeth in frustration, i nearly broke the pencil in two but i wasn't that strong.

Blowing out a harsh breath, i closed my eyes tightly and had a moment of self reflection.

I shouldn't be here but at home watching a thrilling documentary but i just happened to be extra lucky today.
If i think this through, it was fault in the first place for ending up in this situation. I should have never helped Jayden, denied his request to go grocery shopping for him. If only i had said no then, i wouldn't be stuck here, in his room, doing his homework.

But then again, he was working in the kitchen so he wasn't exactly having fun while i suffered. We were both suffering.

But then again, why do i have to suffer for him. I could still refuse to do what he said because i have the money, to clear my debt then he could no longer order me around.

This seemed like a valid and sensible thing to do but something in me refuse to.
Maybe i don't really want to leave h-

"No, no, no... You're only doing this because you're a nice person. Because you can't ignore a person who needs your help, because you're just helping him, nothing else." I whispered to myself refraining from thinking anything else other than the explanation i have provided to myself.

But i couldn't fool myself, my own heart. I knew very well why i was still here, doing whatever he was saying.

No matter whatever words i use to convince myself, i knew what i truly felt for him yet i was scared to say it out loud.

After an intense half an hour, i was able to finish Jayden's homework. Since, i had already done mine, it was easy and i would have finished it quicker than i time i took but my mind was messed with Mr. Jerk's thoughts.

Dusting the invisible dust from my jeans and shirt, I exited Jayden's room and walked down the stairs making a beeline towards the front door. My steps steady and inaudible not to alert the lurking devil in the house.

With a steady hand, i gripped the doorknob. I held my breath as my heart hammered wildly, adrenaline rushed through my veins, slowly and quietly i turned the doorknob and pulled it opened.

I worked my bottom lip, my eyes quickly glanced in the direction of the kitchen where i doubt Jayden was. The door wasn't even opened wide enough for me to escaped when the door made a creaking sound making me halt my movements.

It was loud, loud enough to alert Jayden, who rushed out of the kitchen.

Confusion registered in his features before realisation dawned over it. "Don't even think abo-"

I didn't wait for him to finished as my hand moved over the doorknob and opened it all the way through. "See you at school, byeeee..." I yelled over my back as i made a dash towards my place.

"I'll see you at dinner." I heard Jayden yell at my back.

Because my mind was preoccupied with the thought of getting home as fast as i could, i didn't even give a thought to what Jayden had said.

"This generation kids are something else, i tell you." Aunt Ophelia said conversationally.

"Hmm..." Mum answered distractedly. Her eyes fixated on the tv screen. An entertainment news channel was on, showing a clip of a famous person, caught in some scandal.