Two

Thomas had always enjoyed having different partners. He thought that each one brought something new to the table each time, and made his job even more interesting and unpredictable than it already was. If there was one thing that the man loved, it was unpredictably. If things had a schedule, a certain place, if things had to work certain away, he wasn't a fan. That's why the american himself loved to be unpredictable, it made him feel free, like he could turn against the fate that the world had planned for him. He also enjoyed keeping people on their toes. If they felt too safe, it meant he wasn't being reckless enough.

The man in front of him was someone Thomas could tell was the complete opposite to him. He had dirty blond hair that fell into his judgmental chocolate eyes. They passed up and down his body, causing the blond to bite the inside of his cheek in thought. He had about an inch on Thomas, but definitely did not go to the gym. He had long, lanky arms, one gripping a coffee cup which Thomas could only assume was the only thing keeping the man upright. The american noticed that one leg was completely straight, all the weight pressed onto that foot, the other almost lifted up from the floor. The weight shift caused the blond to seem wonky and awkward, and Thomas could tell he was a bit wonky, personality wise. The brunette held out his hand, as the blond took it with his smaller, slender one.

"Thomas."

"Newt." he spoke with a strong British accent, laced with judgement, seeming to be pondering wether Thomas was good enough or not.

"Newt. What an odd name. That can't be his real name. I'll have to ask him about it." he thought. Jorge, an older man with wise eyes, spoke from his desk.

"Well, I'll leave you two for your orientation day. Newt, I trust you to take good care of your new partner." He nodded toward the brit.

"Huh. Even his boss calls him Newt. Maybe that really is his name."

"Of course. I'll take you to our desk." The blond scanned him up and down once more, before nodding toward his boss and turning on the same heel that he put all of his weight on. He passed his coffee cup between his two slender hands, before leading Thomas, who gave Jorge a smile, out of the office. Thomas blinked in slight surprise when he turned back to his new partner.

Not only did he not out any weight on his right foot, he limped too. It didn't seem to bother him, he didn't even seem to acknowledge it which made Thomas think he must have had it for a long time. He had so many questions, about his name, his limp, and his aura. Thomas only knew his name and Newt had already intrigued him beyond belief, the brunette knew he had to find out more. He pushed on his heel, jogging to fall into step with the blond.

The office was stressed. The walls were covered in red strings, pictures, reports and post-it notes. The floor was littered with coffee stains and ripped papers which were covered in shoe prints where people had trampled over it, running around. There were disheveled people everywhere, some yelling across the room to each other, some downing black coffee, staring intently at files and laptops. Thomas loved it. Untidiness and stressed environments were his element.

They were interrupted by a girl. Her smile was enough to light up the room, reflecting her blond hair. Her eyes had a recent familiarity to them, grinning mischievously at the man next to him.

"This your new partner Newtie?" Another British accent. Thomas figured she must be related to his partner, the accent and pet name gave it away.

"Sonya, shouldn't you be getting to school?" The man raised an eyebrow, avoiding her question.

"College." she corrected, clearly annoyed, much to the blonds satisfaction.

"Hmm. You sure sunshine? Last time I looked you were in pre-school." He nudged the girls cheek with his knuckle before sauntering away. Sonya gave Thomas the same glance up and down before glaring at the back of his partners head as he walked away. Thomas followed Newt to their destination, his desk. The brunette wouldn't have taken the blond for a messy person, but his expectations were proven wrong.