Thirty-nine

Newt's knee made impact with the mans middle, causing him to cripple in on himself. The blond brought his knee up again, this time into the man's skull. That sent the guard stumbling backward to the floor as arms were wrapped around the brits shoulders. So, he whipped around, ramming his elbows into the second guards head. His grip loosened for a moment, giving the blond enough time to rip the large gun from his hands and ram the butt of it into the helmet, leaving a dent. He checked the magazine. Empty.

"Ugh," he groaned, "oh well." he shrugged, swinging the gun around like a baseball bat at another armoured guard running at him. Glancing around, he spotted who he was looking for through the chaos. Thomas was tugging Ava to her feet, steel grip on her arm.

"TOMMY!" He yelled across the huge room. Thomas glanced toward him, the blond momentarily distracted. Unfortunately, that was long enough for him to be tackled by a huge man. The gun slid from his grip as he clawed at the man on top of him, hearing in the distance Thomas vaguely calling in his panic.

"Newt!" Minho dashed toward him as the blond struggled under the large weight who was trying to pin him to the floor.

"Min'" he tried, "Tommy," he clawed at the masked man as Minho stopped in his tracks to listen to the blond, "call it off!" He groaned in effort as he tried to shove with all his effort into shifting his weight from underneath. The asian nodded, turning on his heel toward Thomas, quickly booting the empty gun toward the blond, who swifty picked it up and slammed it into the mans temple as his friend sped off in the opposite direction. The man fell off of him, Newt getting in another hit before standing. Whipping around, he took in the site before him.

Brenda had a blade out, kicking and punching at two guards, who had seemingly taken quite a battering. But not enough.

"Bren!" The blond threw the empty gun toward her, and without missing a beat, she whipped around, caught it and swung it back into the heads of the two, who fell to the floor with a thud. The blond skidded toward his friend, twisting around to find the other three girls. Teresa and Sonya were stood slightly behind Harriet, having no combat training, and struggling. Harriet, the only one with a functioning gun, was trying her best to refrain from using it, leaning toward more hand to hand. But it wasn't enough. The three were slowly being backed into a corner, and it was only then that he realised, so were he and Brenda. There were more armoured men coming by the second, and he knew there was no they could win this. Ava needed to call it off. But by the looks of things, no amount of Thomas's or Minho's threatening was doing that, and they were about to get swarmed by guards. Someone needed to do something, quickly.

"Ava!" Newt yelled, Brenda glancing at him quizzically. When he heard silence from the woman, he continued. "I don't know how important your job is to you, but you need to think about other people!" He motioned to the girl, who nodded curtly. Slowly, the two began to make their way toward Ava, Brenda becoming his own body guard as the blond made his way forward. "My sister is here! She's in college, and has a whole life ahead of her! Do you really want to hurt innocent people?!" He shouted over the noise. "When..when we were in the town hall, I noticed you had a locket on! And you held it close, away from my hands because they were covered in blood and you wanted to keep it safe! Who's in the locket Ava, someone special?! What if they were here!? Scared, and kept like rats!"

"Newt, this better work, I don't think I can keep this up much longer." Brenda panted, swinging the empty gun into guard after guard.

"I'm trying Bren'." he muttered. They were about ten feet away from now, the two of them shoving and battering. "Family is the most important thing, I think! And, all these people you took, they all have a family, all worrying about them! Please Ava, call this off! We can get all those people back to their families, don't you think that's important?" He asked, coming face to face with the woman. She was almost as pale as what she was wearing, blood covered hands clutching the locket. The red of her hands made her look like a ghost, as Minho and Thomas both gripped one arm. "Who's in the locket?" Newt murmured. She shook as tears ran down her face.