Forty

Mary watched her son for a moment, tears running down her face silently. Thomas choked on his sobs, his boyfriend rubbing small circles on his shoulder blade. Chuck clutched his mothers hand, as she smiled warmly at her eldest. Thomas stood up from his chair and rushed into his mothers arms. She wrapped her arms around her two sons, kissing both of their heads as they all sobbed on each other.

"I'm so proud of you darling." She clung to Thomas, running a thumb over his tear-streaked cheek. "You are my son, and you did the right thing." She choked out. "I know it was hard, but that man was a bad one, and you are more of a man, a good man, than Roger could ever be." she smiled and kissed his forehead. Thomas buried his head in the crook of her neck. "I am so proud of both of my boys. You're all I could ever ask for. And I knew from the first moment I saw you both, that you were destined for great things. I knew that you were going to make me proud, and I vowed to myself that I would teach you all I knew, so you could grow up to be compassionate, and forgiving and courageous, and do the right thing. And you have, and I am so proud of you." she kissed their heads again. "Thomas listen to me." She cupped the back of his neck with her hand, bringing it upward so that he made eye contact with her.

'I am so proud of you. Because despite what happened, you stood by your morals. You were trying to protect the people you love, and that is what I wanted you to grow up to be like. When you told me you wanted to be a detective, I was afraid. Because I knew it was dangerous, and you could get seriously hurt. But you told me you wanted to help people, and if I stopped you from doing that, all my teachings would be for nothing. And I am so glad you did, because all the compassion and courageousness you showed, and show, toward people you don't even know, is extremely admirable. The business needs more of your compassion, because it's changed peoples lives. You've changed peoples lives. Because you're a good person ok? Thomas. Don't forget that."

"I love you mom." the man sobbed.

"I love you too sweetie."

"Thank you."

-

A few hours later, Thomas smiled and kissed his mother goodbye. He winked at Chuck and turned on his heel, making his way out of the threshold of his old home with the blond in tow. Skipping down the old stairs, Mary caught Newt's arm, the brit turning to look at her.

"Newt, I.." she tried, "Thank you." She smiled.

"For what Ms Greene?" He asked softly, sending her a small smile.

"Well.." she frowned softly, glancing at the floor before gently squeezing his bicep. Thomas shoved his hands in his pockets and shifted his weight from foot to foot, waiting for his partner and watching his mother expectantly. "Well, people keep saying how much you needed Thomas, but, I think he needed you as much as you needed him." she murmured.

"Well, I suppose, you're welcome." he flashed her a grin as her grip loosened.

"Oh, and Newt?" She called after him as he jumped the last two steps.

"Yeah?" He asked, pushing strands of blond from his eyes. She chuckled softly, murmuring something to him from three steps up. He gasped over exaggeratedly, stepping backward toward the american.

"Ms Greene!" He laughed softly, winking at her before turning toward Thomas. "Always." Thomas frowned at him in confusion, but the blond just patted him on the shoulder and jumped into Thomas's car. The brunette frowned at his mother before rolling his eyes.

"You better be paying for gas buttercup." he grumbled, jumping into the drivers seat and waving goodbye to his family. Starting the car up, putting the car in reverse and backing out of the drive, Newt scoffing.