Fourteen

Thomas grinned at Chuck and his mom from the doorway, waving at the two from his mothers house, before pulling out of her drive. He put the car in drive and began down the street. Newt was curled up in the passengers seat, texts open. He was chewing on his lip, thumb hovering over the 'send' button.

"Newt, what's eating ya'?" He glanced toward his friend.

"I'm gonna end it with Mark, but.." he trailed off.

"But?"

"But I'm scared." he whispered. Thomas sighed, reaching out to gently squeeze the mans knee.

"Don't be. What's the worst he could do?"

"Hurt one of you guys." he murmured. Thomas frowned, glancing at the blond.

"We won't let that happen. All the people he might try to hurt have guns, or are always around someone else who has a gun. We all know how to look after ourselves." he reassured him. Newt looked at him, staring at him with a slight frown on his face.

"I suppose."

"What does the text say?" Thomas stopped at a red light and turned to the blond, proving to him he had his full attention. Newt looked down at the text.

"To Mark, I'm sorry. It's not working out. Your looks are almost as bad as your arrogance, you don't smell as great as you think you do, and the only reason I didn't shoot you in the head was because I need to be out of prison to help my sister move in with her girlfriend. Go fuck yourself, because no one else wants too, Sam." He looked up at Thomas for approval.

The brunette burst into laughter, clutching at his sides and wiping away tears. Newt blinked at him, but slowly began to giggle too, the two of them soon in fits of laughter. The light turned green and people started honking their horns for the two to move, but Thomas couldn't control himself so he just found the nearest place to pull over. Eventually their laughter died down and the american wiped the tears from his eyes.

'If you don't send that, I'll make you walk to my apartment." he snorted. Newt rolled his eyes and hit send.

-

Thomas opened the door to his apartment, holding open the door for his new roommate. Newt's eyes widened. Thomas's apartment couldn't really be considered that of such. It was evident that Newt had expected a small apartment for one, with takeaway pizza boxes piles up in the corner waiting to be taken out, and the fridge stuffed full of beers, but that wasn't what he found.

He was greeted by a sleek kitchen, black metal cabinets and oven, marble slabs making up the work surface and island. Beside the island were three black stools, caged lights hanging above them. Small plants were placed around, bringing a little greenery to the black and white room. It opened up into an open planned dining room and living room. A glass table was accompanied by four white chairs, behind the black sofa. It was facing the large, wide screened TV, hung up on the white wall. A white rug lay in-between the two, small glass coffee table set a top. House plants were dotted around the huge open plan room, leading into the three doors at the end.

"Holy shit." Newt breathed. Thomas chewed on his lip, weary of judgement. He didn't want Newt thinking he was some douchey millionaire.

"My dad thought he could make up for running off and abandoning us with money. I had nothing to do with it, so I just thought, fuck it I'll buy a nice apartment. Maybe Chuck could move in when he's older." He shrugged, closing the door behind the blond who was still gazing around the room with his mouth open. "Come on, you can have the spare bedroom." he smiled, leading Newt toward one of the doors. He opened it and ushered the man inside.