Four

Thomas absentmindedly swirled the small wooden stick around in his coffee, watching the blond work. Newt was finishing their work up on the cheating case, having decided it would be quicker if he did all the paperwork without Thomas. He could see the blond was longing for his break, having given up moving the hair out of his eyes about half an hour prior. He was rolling his foot quickly, running his tongue over his teeth in thought every now and then. Thomas clicked a pen in boredom, watching as Newt finally finished the work and sat back in his chair with a huff.

"You done?" Thomas asked as the man saved his work and scribbled another note onto a post-it, pasting it next to the others. He nodded and took a swig of coffee, drawing his knees up to his chest on his chair and turning to Thomas.

"No more work today."

"You gonna head home?" Thomas asked. He saw something flash in the brits eyes and he tensed, before swallowing whatever it was and shaking his head.

"Nah," he said carelessly, "never know when you might be needed."

"That's true." Thomas nodded in thought, "I feel like I don't know a lot about you Newt." The man leant over Thomas and took his pills up in his hand, making sure to cover the label.

"Cuz you spend your time with the others." He shrugged, shaking out two pills into his palm, before putting back the bottle.

"Yeah, well I'm here now." Thomas watched as he swallowed the pills, washing them down with bitter coffee.

"Well, you tell me a bit about yourself, I'll tell you a bit about me." The blond shrugged, brushing strands from his eyes.

"Ok, well," Thomas paused, "My names Thomas. I'm Twenty-three. I have a mum, she lives here in NY, but a while away. My little brother Chuck, is thirteen. He's in school pretty close to here, and every day after work I pick him up. My dad died when he was one, so I was nine, but honestly, I couldn't care any less. That man was nothing more than a alcoholic, cowardly, shuck face." He practically spat, finding Newts eyes wide with curiosity, "But anyway, I have a fish called Derek. I'm currently single, although I recently figured out I'm bi, which is pretty cool. Men are hotter than I thought." He snorted, as the brit scoffed into his coffee cup, "That's basically all I can think of."

Newt nodded in thought, before clearing his throat, "Well. My name's Sam, but everyone calls me Newt. I am Twenty-four, and I moved here when I was six. My younger sister Sonya, is going to college here in NY, and my parents still live in Britain. I have a boyfriend called Mark, and, uh, I love him very much." He stared into his cup, before continuing, "Pretty sure you've already noticed my limp. And every day after work, I walk home, and theres always these two golden retrievers who like to lie outside their house, they love pats. I go visit this granny who lives next door to me, called Mrs. Norris too." Thomas smiled fondly, nodding.

"Sounds fun."

"mhm' he nodded.

"Hey Newt?"

"Yeah?"

"Why do you always keep that jacket on? I don't think I've seen you without it once." He laughed softly, as the blond pulled it closer to himself.

"It's nice. And I get cold easy." he chuckled quietly.

"Why do you limp?" Thomas asked bluntly. He was fed up of wondering. Newt intrigued him too much, it was becoming unbearable. He had to find out more, curiosity was tearing him apart from the inside out. The blond looked quite shocked at his partners bluntness, but Thomas didn't care. He'd known Newt for two weeks, and still had no answers to any of his questions. Why did he limp? What were his pills for? What were the post-it notes for?