Twenty-seven

Newt watched the brunette and his young brother from across the table, talking about some kid in Chucks class. He absentmindedly listened and felt the soft breeze from the open window send shivers down his spine. He sipped his drink slowly, picking at his food as he listened to the younger boy's story.

"And then Terry goes, 'at least I know I can spell potato!" Chuck howled with laughter, his older bother laughing at the story softy as he smiled at the younger. Newt chuckled softly, watching the clouds go by outside, pushing his glasses up on his nose. "So Newt," Chuck had managed to recompose himself. The blond glanced back to him, nodding in acknowledgment. "do you play any instruments?" He asked, "cuz at my school we have to chose one to play, and T says I should choose drums, cuz thats what he chose."

"You play drums?" The blond raised his eyebrows toward the brunette, who shrugged and scoffed,

"Can you imagine me playing anything else?" Newt shook his head and laughed softly. A whine of indigestion came from his stomach, but he didn't even notice.

"Well, I used to play bass guitar, but I mean, I haven't played in years. Had to sell mine to pay for my student loans." he snorted softly. Thomas blinked in surprise.

"Was it fun?" The boy asked. Newt nodded.

"Yeah, I enjoyed it. I was apart of this stupid school band, but I'm pretty sure I was the only one who actually knew how to play their instrument." he laughed, the other two joining in. His stomach whined again, so he tried to quiet it with a drink.

"Huh, maybe I'll do guitar." Chuck frowned in thought, picking at his food. The two nodded.

"It's fun. Takes a while to get the hands though." Newt glanced at his own long fingers.

"What do you mean?" Chuck asked.

"Well you have to either have really long fingers, or you've got to train your hands to stretch, like you would if you did piano." he explained, the two brothers watching him with interest as he held up his hands. "See, long fingers? And, Tommy, stretch your hand out." He asked the man, Thomas outstretching his palm. Newt placed his palm against his partners, stretching out his fingers. They went past Thomas's, creating more of a fan. "See?" He asked and took his palm away, after lingering for just a second too long. Chuck nodded in understanding and held out his hands to analyse them.

"Do you think I could have hands like that?" He asked. The blond winced in discomfort at his stomach, but trusted that it would rid itself.

"Sure you can. Anyone can, just gotta train them. And keep your nails short." The blond advised, Thomas reaching out and squeezing his hand softly. He met his gaze, and the concerned look on the brunettes face told Newt he had noticed the wince. The blond just shook his head and waved it off. Nodding, the americans hand slipped away and reached for his glass.

"So what do you th-" Newt cried out in pain, clutching his stomach. It felt like someone had shoved a dagger in it, and then twisted. The pain took his breath away, screaming like there was a fire that had been started in his liver. Soon after, came the overwhelming urge to throw up. He groaned in pain and ran to the bathroom, quickly followed by a concerned Thomas.

"Newt whats wrong?!" He heard. The blond threw himself over the toilet and threw up. He heaved for breath, stomach spearing and twisting in pain as sweat began to glisten on his forehead. Despite the paleness of his skin, he felt like his whole body was on fire, screaming out in pain and effort to just say conscious. When he opened his eyes, his heart stopped.

The toilet was filled with blood.

He gasped and crawled backward, breathing becoming panicked and desperate.

"S..shit.." Thomas whispered, "Chuck call 911!" He ushered to the boy who was stood in the doorway, pale and frozen. "Go!" He hurried from the room. Thomas knelt next to Newt, trying to calm him. "Newt, hey, hey look at me. Newt look at me." He put his palms on the burning cheeks. The blonds eyes were blown wide as panic and pain engulfed him. "It's ok. Deep breaths. The ambulance will be here soon." Despite the calming words, Newt couldn't believe him, because his voice and hands were shaking. Lunging forward, he threw up again, trickles of blood running from his mouth. Consciousness almost escaping him, he slipped back, only to find arms wrapped around him, holding him up. He turned to Thomas, watching as the hazel eyes grew more panicked and helpless.

"Poison." Newt whispered. "T..Tommy listen to me.." he interlocked his long fingers with Thomas's. "y..you and I..we both know..know how deadly p..poison is..s..so..pl..please..I..I need you to...to list..listen to me." He whispered. "if..if..I..I di..if I die-"

Thomas had tears brewing in his eyes as he shook his head. "No. No Newt we're not..we're not having this conversation. You're not..you're not gonna die, I won't let you." he whispered, tears beginning to fall. Newt reached up and gently held his palm to the mans cheek.

"Hey..hey..do..don't cry. I'm..I'm go..going to be ok..it's ok.." he whispered, tears beginning to drip down his face. He wasn't scared of dying. He never had been, he wasn't when he decided to be a detective, he wasn't when he jumped, and he wasn't now. But what he was scared of, was leaving. He had so much unfinished business. He needed to find Sonya. He needed to help Thomas find Teresa. He needed to tell Thomas how he felt. He needed to live.

He gasped a shaky breath, resting his forehead against the brunettes. "p..please listen Tommy." Thomas nodded, eyes squeezed shut as he clutched the bond close, "i..in m..my be..bedside t..table...t...the..theres a letter..I..I nee...need you to...to read it..and...a..and follow it. If..i..if I die..f...foll..follow it."

"I..I can't Newt, You're not shucking leaving. I won't..I can't." He cried.

"Thomas, I..I need you to..ple..please..it's i..important to me...p..please Tommy, please" The brunette opened his eyes, meeting the large chocolate ones that were millimetres away. He just nodded.

"And..and w..what if you don't die?"

"T..then..j..just read it..it's..all true..e..even..even if I..I didn't have..have the..g..gu..guts to..s..say it out loud." Newt whispered, black pain starting to corner his vision.

"Newt..N..Newt? Come on...Newt pl..please, come on..d..don't close your eyes, stay with me...stay here Newt I've got you..don't close your eyes." Thomas lightly shook the man. Newt let a soft smile fall on his lips as his hand slipped from Thomas's tear-streaked cheek.

"Tommy...Tommy I..I l..lo.." Then the darkness swallowed him.