Sixteen

Thomas bounded up the stairs, waiting impatiently for the blond at the top. Newt's step were slow and deliberate, making sure to keep his balance. He eventually got to the top and Thomas grinned at him, before holding the door to the office open for him. The two entered the office, crossing the room to where Minho and Brenda were poured over a tablet.

"Well, anything?!" Thomas asked, eyes wide with anticipation and nerves. He leant over Minho's shoulder, Newt coming to a stop next to Brenda. On the screen was a outlined map of the city, with a thick blue line winding through streets, following a moving red circle, that was currently on route to the WCKD store the four had visited three days prior. Brenda sighed.

"There's nothing incredibly out of the ordinary, apart from on Saturday." She pinched the screen and zoomed into a larger square on the edge of the city. "He went to a huge warehouse for about two hours. We looked it up and it belongs to WCKD, it's where they keep all of their furniture, but don't actually sell it there." She explained. Newt straightened with a frown an this arms crossed over his chest.

"But why do they need that? There was a huge storage room in the store, it had everything they sold there. What could they need that for?"

"Well, it's either stock, or humans." Minho scoffed.

"Ok, well why don't we go there then?" Thomas asked. Brenda shook her head.

"Not yet. If he goes there again, then we'll head out there and have a snoop." she sighed. Thomas groaned. He was fed up of waiting, he just wanted to find his best friend. "I know Thomas, I know. But don't worry. We'll find her." she squeezed his shoulder, and he nodded slightly. He slumped down in his chair, soon accompanied by the blond.

"Tommy, don't loose hope. I know it's hard, but if you don't believe that we'll find her, we won't." he said sternly. The american glanced up, meeting chocolate eyes. They were filled with determination, and Thomas couldn't find a speck of doubt. It did make him feel better. He nodded and smiled gratefully.

"Newt!" A voice sounded behind the blond. He lost eye contact with Thomas and swivelled in his chair, toward the voice. There was a girl coming up to them. She looked a little older than Sonya, with darker, smooth skin and braided hair, pulled back messily. She wore a thick coat and a worried frown, brown eyes alive with fear and hope.

"Harriet, what's wrong?" Newt frowned.

"Ha..have you seen Sonya? She hasn't been seen since last night, she didn't go back to her dorm for the evening. When she didn't text me in the morning, I thought maybe she had a hangover or something but her roommates haven't seen her." she rambled, waving her arms around exasperatedly. Newt's dark eyes widened and he practically threw himself at his phone. He fumbled with it and called his sister. Thomas glanced between him, Harriet, and Minho and Brenda, who had stopped analysing the tablet and had concern etched onto their features. When Sonya didn't pick up, Newt slammed his fist down on the desk, almost cracking his phone screen.

"NO!" He squeezed his eyes shut with thought, breath ragged. When he opened them, Thomas could see that tears were threatening to spring up, and he risked reaching out for the blonds clenched fist.

"Newt, there's probably a logical explanation for this, let's just think abo-"

"I'm taking the rest of the day off." The blond announced, pulling open a drawer and picking out a handgun. Brenda's eyes widened.

"Newt what are you doing with that?" She asked, keeping her tone low and calm.

"I'm gonna put a bullet in Mark's head."

-

The four followed him, of course, all the while trying to convince him to cam down, without getting shot. Harriet hung at the back, dark bags under her eyes making the fear more obvious and real.

"Newt don't shoot him."

"We don't even know if he did anything."

"Question him, don't kill him."

"If you kill him we won't know where she is."

"You can't find her if you go to prison."

Eventually Newt swirled on them, gripping the gun tightly.

"COULD YOU ALL SHUT YOUR BLOODY MOUTHS FOR TWO FUCKING SECONDS" He yelled, heaving for breath. The four froze, eyes locked on the gun. Slowly, Thomas stepped toward him, gently placing a hand over Newt's gun hand. The brit locked eyes with him, and for the first time Thomas saw how scared and devastated he truly was. Thomas gently slid his thumb in between the gun and the blonds trigger finger.

"Newt, put the gun down," he murmured. Newt's lip quivered and he shook his head.

"I..I can't let him do this." his voice came out hoarse, and Thomas could tell his heart had practically been ripped out and stomped on.

"Mrs Norris wouldn't like to see you being taken away in a police car, who would make her tea? The doggies would be so upset if you couldn't visit them" He whispered, managing to coax relaxation into the brits quivering fingers. Newt's shoulders tensed, and he let out a strangled sob. Thomas drew him into an embrace as he let his grip on the gun slip, and Thomas took it up. He passed it to Minho and held the man close, letting him cry into his neck. Brenda let out a sigh and sat down on the curb, followed by Minho. Harriet just stared toward the floor, silent tears falling onto the side walk. Minho drew her into a soft hold, letting her sniffle and cry.

Newt's cries ripped at Thomas's heart. The blond gripped the brunette tightly, frustrated, fearful sobs wracking his body. Thomas held him like Newt had held him when he found out Teresa was missing, running his fingers through the dirty blond locks and rocking him slightly.

"T..Tommy..I..I can't loose her...s..sh..shes t..the only..f..fam..family I have left." Newt whispered, just loud enough for Thomas to hear. The american sighed and closed his eyes, resting his head a top the blonds. He hadn't even considered that. 'This is your fault Thomas. If you hadn't have made Newt break up with Mark, Sonya would still be here. You're lucky Newt hasn't shot you.'

"Hey, its ok. We'll find her. We will." Newt looked up, red faced and bleary eyed.

"Tommy, do you believe that we're going to find Teresa?"

"I make myself believe. Because if I don't, we won't."