Nine

Newt winced in pain, examining the huge bruise engulfing his entire side. He sighed and chewed on his lip, touching the dark skin tenderly. 'What am I doing? Why am I with someone who treats me like dirt? Because I deserve it. Even so, I don't love him. No way in hell I'm breaking up with him though. Why not? Well, because he gives me what I can't give myself.' Newt was so caught up in his internal debate, that he didn't see or hear Minho come into the bathroom. He let his shirt fall over his skin, but it was too late.

"Samuel Newton!" Uh oh.

"Oh..uh..glad to see your feeling better Min'" He smiled sheepishly. Minho marched over angrily, pulling up the blonds shirt. He sighed, worry and frustration swallowing his usual bright eyes.

"Newt..is he hurting you?"

"No, of course not. I..fell."

"Newt are you fucking serious?! I'm fed up of this, why are you defending that slinthead! I can't believe this, he's hurting you. Like physically putting his hands on you and you're not doing anything!" The brit rolled his eyes and moved away from his friend.

"Stop over reacting Minho, it's nothing. It's not even that bad." he muttered.

"Not that bad!? Newt, why are you doing this to yourself!?" his eyes turned soft with worry and slight pity, "this isn't how you get better. I didn't save you for nothing, I didn't save you just so you could hurt yourself and get someone to abuse you because you think you deserve it."

Newt frowned in anger. He took a step towards Minho, fists clenched. "I didn't ask you to save me! Hang on, save me? You didn't save me Minho, you just prolonged my suffering." he practically growled.

"You don't have too suffer Newt! You're the only one causing your suffering! You could walk away from him today and you could be happy, and-"

"You really think that's how it works Minho?" he murmured, not leaving the asians eye, "You seriously think I'm just, choosing to be unhappy?"

"No Newt that's not what I mean, I just.." he glanced down, taking a deep breath, "look, I'm sorry. Sue me for worrying about you." he grumbled. Newt rolled his eyes. 'Why does Minho have to be so nice? It just makes me feel like a dick.'

"I'm sorry for being mean. I'm just stressed..I guess." he shrugged, pushing himself onto the sink to take some weight off of his foot. Minho did the same, watching him intently.

'Seriously Newt, why do you defend him? We know that he hurts you, so why insist he doesn't, even if you know we're not gonna change our minds?" He asked, frowning at his friend.

"I dunno, it's just automatic. I defend him because he tells me too. You know, 'you tell anyone, I'll do this' or, 'say a word and I'll hurt your sister.' Not exactly a nice environment to be in." he grumbled unhappily. Minho almost laughed with frustration.

"Then just leave him! You could leave, and that could be it. No more abuse. No more threats. No more worry. Why wouldn't you want to do that?"

"Because I care about you guys. If I were to break up with him, he'd go for someone I love. Minho you have a family, parents that love you. I don't. The closest thing I have to family is Sonya, you, Brenda and..well Tommy's getting there. And I know if i did leave him, he'd hurt one of you guys. I'm scared I won't be there to protect you if that happens, and if something happened to one of you because of my stupid choices, I'd never forgive myself."

"Newt we can look after ourselves-"

"I can look after myself, but that doesn't stop you from worrying, does it Min'? Look, can we just drop it. We've got a whole day together today, and I want it to be fun if it can be, instead of Mark being the only thing on my mind." he murmured, Minho nodded.

"Fine but this conversation isn't over," Newt grunted in protest, "So, what do you think of Tommy?" Newt glanced up at the obscure question, cocking his head in confusion.

"I think he's great. Why?"

"Just wonderin'. You think you might have found your new partner?"

"I dunno. I think I might have."

-

The four of them piled into the car, squishing up. Minho, Newt and Thomas sat in the back, snapping at eachtoher.

'Newt move your ass.' 'Minho get your arse over.' 'Oh sorry I know it's too thick.' 'I hate you.' 'Me too, you're the actual worst.' 'You just don't want to admit that you've looked at my ass before.' 'I'd honestly rather let a bus drive over my head.' 'Your ass is on the seatbelt!' 'Tommy get your hands away from my arse right now." 'Thomas, how dare you?! I thought better from you.' 'Ok Minho, I'm about to run bus over your head in a minute.'

Brenda sat in the front, listening to the three squabble as she glanced over the files. Thomas and Minho started smacking each other over Newt, and the blond groaned, suddenly wishing he'd offered to sit in the front.

"Can you two stop acting like two year olds?!'

"Sorry Mama noot." Minho snickered, earning a smack from the blond.

"Look at what you've done Minho, you've upset mama." Thomas sniggered, also earning a smack.

"Newt you can't smack your kids, corporal punishment isn't allowed." Brenda joined in from the passenger seat.

"Don't make me come up there and turn this car around missy." Newt played along, earning a laugh from his friends. It was times like these when Newt was truly happy. He may have been squished in-between the two most immature men he had ever had the displeasure of meeting, but they were his friends and he'd cross oceans for them. His foot didn't hurt, the bruises weren't causing him any trouble and his friends were making him laugh. What else could he ask for?

"Hey Newt?"

"Hmm?" Newt snapped out of his day dream, finding Thomas's large hazel eyes blinking back at him.

"At the weekend, have you got a day free?" Brenda snapped around, meeting Minho's stare with a mischievous glint in her eyes. Newt knew that meant something, and that something was probably not good, but he focused back on his partner.

"I'm sure I do. Why? Taking me somewhere fancy?" he snorted.

"If down the arcade is fancy, then yeah. It's just, I've mentioned you to my mom and Chuck, and the guy really wants to meet you. I thought you two would get on really well, so I told him I'd see if you wanted to go down the arcade with us."

"Are you sure I won't be intruding on some brotherly bonding time?" Newt asked, delighted that he was actually being asked out somewhere, but also nervous. Newt never got invited somewhere, unless it was to drinks down the bar with his friends from the office. Mark never took him on dates, or did much else other than yell and drink. He was more than happy to spend the day with Thomas and meet his little brother, but he was also slightly unnerved.

He didn't want to intrude on anything. Everyone had their pair, Newt knew that, and the two brothers were clearly very close, based on the praises Thomas sung of his little brother. Newt didn't want to seem like he was that annoying one who was stepping in on the sacred time the two brothers had with each other. And he knew Mark would want to knew where he was going. How was he supposed to explain he was spending the day with another man and his teenage brother?

"Oh don't be ridiculous. I'm starting to think Chuck wants you to be his brother more than me. Every time I pick him up he wants to know 'what Newt said', or 'something badass Newt did.' It's getting ridiculous. Please don't be surprised if he wants you to sign something." He snorted, cracking Newt up.

"What have you said about me? You better not have painted me as some bloody saint."

"Well..not exactly."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Newt frowned, slightly scared about the answer.

"Oh nothing. Don't worry your pretty little head about it."

"Pretty?"

"Oh don't flatter yourself, I didn't even say beautiful."