Twenty-four

Brenda's large eyes stared back at him. They were in Thomas's bed, with the covers draped over their heads. He watched her slowly blink, dark eyes analysing his features in the low light.

"Thomas?" She murmured. He blinked at her in acknowledgment. "Can you answer me a question honestly?" She asked.

"Sure." he nodded.

"Why was Newt in your bed?" She tried to sound sincere, but bit her lip trying not to giggle. He groaned and rolled his eyes.

"I told you, we were talking and we fell asleep. That's it." She nodded, seeming a little disappointed to Thomas's surprise. "Why do you look so disappointed?" He scoffed. She pouted at him.

"I think you guys would be super cute. I mean, I know how much of a good boyfriend you are, and I think you could treat Newt really well. He deserves someone like you." She mumbled. The brunettes face went very red, and he prayed she didn't notice in the little light. But of course, Brenda being Brenda, she did, gasping softly. "Thomas! Is there something you're not telling me?"

"No." he lied. She shot him a look, pushing a sharp exhale from him out of his nostrils. "Yes whatever." he grumbled.

"Do you like Newt?" She whispered. The american didn't answer, his averting gaze answering her question. She smiled softly, "that's great Thomas. You need someone like him. And he needs you too."

"What do you mean?" Thomas frowned softly.

"Jeez you really are oblivious. At breakfast, when I told you I hadn't seen Newt smile like that until three months ago, I was being specific." She sighed, annoyed that Thomas wasn't getting her point.

"I don't follow." He murmured. The woman sighed exasperatedly and rolled her eyes.

"Thomas. You met Newt three months ago."

"You..you think I make him happier?"

"Yes obviously! Have you not seen the way he looks at you, I thought you knew he likes you, it's literally the most obvious thing I have ever seen." Thomas's mind was short circuiting over and over again.

"You think Newt likes me?" He barely whispered.

"Oh please, I thought everyone knew that. Even at breakfast today, whenever you looked the other way his eyes were on you. You have to talk to him Thomas, you could be so cute together!" She pushed. He chewed on his lip, taking in the words that were being passed in-between the small space between them.

"You..you're sure he does? You're not just seeing things right?" He breathed. Brenda frantically shook her head.

"Trust me."

"I..I'll think about it." There was a long silence after that, the two of them listening to the others steady breaths. Eventually, Brenda gently cleared her throat.

"Thomas?"

"Yeah?"

"When we find Teresa, can we have that movie marathon we were planning?" She asked quietly. Thomas glanced up to meet her eye, seeing that they were full of tears. His heart broke a little, and wondered how much the girls best friend was actually on her mind. In the covers, he found her hand and squeezed it tightly.

"You know we will. All three high school musicals, just like we said." he reassured. She smiled weakly back at him, as he gently wiped a tear away.

"With sweet and salty popcorn." she added.

"And chocolate." Thomas finished. She sniffled and sighed, closing her eyes for a moment.

"Do you really think she's out there Thomas? Fighting, and trying to get back to us?"

"Of course she is. And she knows we're looking for her. Remember the promise we all made to each other?" He asked gently, running his thumb along the woman's knuckles. She nodded and smiled softly.

"Where one goes, we go. If we're left behind, we burn the world until we find each other. If the world has burned and we still haven't sound each other, we'll just have to burn the universe." She recited.

"She burns it, when we burn it. Two fires meet, what happens?" He asked softly.

"They create a wild fire."

"And that's what we are. We'll make a wild fire, and we'll walk through it to meet her in the middle. Just you wait and see Bren'. Just you wait and see."

-

About an hour later, after the two had emerged from the blankets and were researching on Thomas's bed, there was a sharp knock at the door, before Minho's muscular build swaggered through the door.

"Thomas, can we chat?" He asked casually. The man slid his laptop from his lap, straightening and swinging his legs onto the side of the bed. Brenda glanced up quizzically, keeping up with the research, but listening with one ear.

"Sure Min'. What's eating ya?" He asked. Minho stood above the two, Thomas craning his neck to meet his eye.

"Oh nothing, I just wanted to warn you." He crossed his arms over his chest, giving the american a hard stare. Thomas felt confused and slightly intimidated, which was not helped when he felt Brenda's smirk on the back of his head.

"About?" He asked slowly and carefully, rising to his feet. Minho shoved him down back onto the bed in one fluid motion, glaring at him with suspicion. 'What the fuck is going on?'

"I just wanted to talk about your....intentions, with my best friend. I know you like Newt, but you see the thing is, without my blessing, theres no way in hell you're getting to him." He said. Thomas began to laugh, expecting Minho to crack into his usual smirk, but he didn't. The brunettes smile faded, and he raised his eyebrows in confusion.

"My intentions?"

"Yes."

"Well..I don't know?" He frowned.

"You don't know!" Minho rose above him, causing him to lean back in intimidation. The asian pointed an accusing finger to his face, "Well you better sort out your intentions pretty soon slinthead, I don't want you playin' no games with his heart. Good that?" He almost growled. Thomas nodded.

"I guess..my intentions..are to love him?" He was very confused. Brenda threw a look at Minho, who frowned back at her.

"You love him?"

"Well..I..uh..I think I'm in love with him, yeah." He nodded, a little flustered and embarrassed. Despite it all though, Thomas did trust Minho and Brenda, to 1. be honest with him and 2. keep his secret.

"Are you in love with him, or the idea of him?" Brenda asked suspiciously. Thomas blinked, and answered without hesitation,

"Him."

Brenda and Minho exchanged one last look, before the asian cracked into a grin and slammed his hand on his friends shoulder.

"Looks like we've got a keeper."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this chapter was short, sorry bout that. Just, be prepared for the next two chapters is all I'm saying, cuz you might hate me afterward lmao