Thirty-one

Newt woke up to the sound of singing and thought nothing of it. Thomas was up first like always, and he was singing ABBA and making breakfast, as always. The blond just curled up and nuzzled into the brunettes neck. 'Wait.' He sat up, blinking. Thomas was there, next to him, hair tousled and sleeping peacefully. It was only then that Newt realised the singing was coming from a woman.

"What the fuck?" He whispered to himself, shaking Thomas awake. The brunette grumbled and tried to shove the blond off the bed in his morning grump.

"Go awayyy" He whined.

"Tommy there's a lady singing in your bloody apartment get up." He smacked his shoulder, the American sitting up and looking wide eyed in confusion. He listened for a second, before his eyes widened even more and he swallowed.

"It's my mom." He whispered.

"What?! Why is she here?!" Newt hissed back. Thomas scrambled out of bed and hastily threw some clothes on, as the Brit practically fell out of it and did the same.

"You think I know?"

"How do you plan on explaining to her why I was in your bedroom?" The blond head appeared from the floor.

"Just tell her the truth?"

"Oh yeah. You really wanna inform your mother on your sex life?" The Brit deadpanned. Thomas huffed through his nostrils and did his belt up.

"Fine good point. I'll just say you were using my shower cuz yours wasn't working." Newt straightened, trying to put socks on without falling back over. "But I am gonna have to tell her eventually. She keeps asking about my crush on you."

"Fine. Next time she asks, tell her. I'm gonna go pretend I'm showering or something I don't know." He turned on his heel and headed for the en suite.

"Newt?"

"Hmm?" He glanced behind him, greeted by a small peck on the lips.

"Don't be so grumpy. I'm making pancakes."

-

Newt let the hot water run down his skin as he took a deep breath. He'd decided to have a shower in the end, just to clear his head. A lot had happened in the past 72 hours and he needed some time to think about it.

He pushed back some hair to his scalp, and blinked. He glanced at his wrist, running a thumb over the white scars. Observing them for a moment, he glanced down, to where his ankle was permanently stuck at an odd angle that bones shouldn't be in. He frowned at it, and tried to put a bit of weight on it. When he felt no pain, he tried a little more, feeling a spark of discomfort. He glared at his foot, said 'fuck it' and put all his weight on it. Pain shot up his leg and it almost buckled, before he quickly moved the weight onto the other. Newt sighed, and mentally cursed himself for being such an idiot.

Feeling it was better to get out before his mind spiralled, he stepped out of the shower and grabbed a towel. Quickly, he dried himself off and ran a hand through his wet hair. Then he pulled on his clothes again and limped out into the kitchen.

Thomas was making pancakes, as promised, listening to a story his mother was telling, who was sat at the island with a mug of tea warming her palms.

"Good morning Newt!" She beamed at the blond, who politely smiled back at her.

"Good morning Ms Greene. To what do I owe the pleasure?" He asked, nudging at Thomas's wrist bone when he was passed a cup of tea and a plate of already syrup covered pancakes. He slid into the stool next to Thomas's mother, watching her intently.

He decided he liked Mary. She was the stereotypical grandmother type, baking cookies for everyone and thinking everything is just exciting. Although deep down, the blond had an unspoken bitterness toward all mothers, he couldn't help but find Mary's smile infectious. He was sure there wasn't a bad bone in her body, and that she just wanted the best for everyone.

"How are you feeling sweetheart? I heard all about what happened?" She reached out and squeezed his hand.

"Well, it wasn't fun, but I'm feeling much better, thank you for asking."

"Do you know Newt, I think you are the most polite man I have ever met." She beamed. "And I tried my best to raise Thomas with the best manners I could." She commented.

"Well, us brits have got a reputation to uphold."

"I do love British people. So polite. So cool."

"Cool?" He raised an eyebrow, Thomas scoffing behind him as he took a seat.

"You're cooler than you give yourself credit for Newt. Don't think I've ever seen anyone rock a leather jacket and a handgun like you can."

"Why do I get the feeling you only became a detective to look cool Tommy?" He teased.

"Did it work?"

"Oh definitely. I've seen you pull off a bomber jacket and a explosion detonator" he scoffed. The two brunettes laughed, Mary's quietening.

"Your job is actually what brought my here." She explained. The two blinked at her, so she continued, "you see, when you came over the other night, I heard you mention that you were working on a case that involved Ava Paige and Director Janson. At the time, I couldn't think where I recognised the names at first, but now I remember. I wanted to come and see if I could be any help." She pulled out an old photo from her pocket, carefully smoothing it and continuing as the two men peered over it.

"You see, back before Thomas was born, his father, Roger used to host these parties. He was a big buisness man in the city, so all the CEO's Of big company's used to attend. I never liked them, so I usually stayed out of the way. Then one night, I encountered this woman. She was lovely and seemed very down to earth, not like all the other people there. I thought she was very nice so we talked. Her name was Ava Paige." Thomas and Newt exchanged a glance before watching the woman.

"One night she introduced me to this man. I didn't like him, he seemed a little intimidating, but the main point was that she introduced him as her 'buisness partner.' It was Director Janson. Now, in this photo, you can see the two talking." She pointed to the pair in the back. They were younger and had rosier cheeks, but it was them, no doubt about it.

"Shit." Thomas whispered, his mother glowering at him.

"Tommy..they know eachother." The blonds heart was pounding as he met Thomas's eye. "You know what this means?"

"That Paige Inc and WCKD might be connected. Teresa and Sonya might have been taken by the same people." He breathed.

"We have to get to the office." The world seemed to stop for a moment, before the two moved at the same time, scrambling to grab files, guns, and coats. The mother blinked, watching the two dash around the room. Newt stopped to grab his keys from the island, grinning from ear to ear at Mary.

"Ms Greene I could just kiss you!"

"I'm glad I could be a help" She beamed.

"A help? You might have just solved the whole bloody case! Tommy hurry your ass up we have to go!" He called, skidding toward the door. The brunette ran into the room, stopping to kiss his mother on the cheek and meeting the blond at the door.

"Thomas dear?" She called after them. Thomas stopped and turned, the blond waiting in anxiousness and excitement in the corridor, praying that she made it quick.

"Yeah?"

"You didn't have to lie to me. I just hope you used a condom." Newt almost choked on his laughter, watching as Thomas's face turned the colour of a tomato.

"MOM"

"You kids go have fun now" she laughed, Thomas groaning in embarrassment. Newt grabbed his hand and barrelled down the stairs.

"How did she know?"

"She probably has cameras everywhere."

"I fucking hope not"