Thirty-five

Newt's heart stopped. Everything stopped. He was staring at her. At Sonya. At the person he'd never thought he'd see again. And she was ok. Sure, blood was trailing down one cheek and she had cuts and bruises lining her skin, but it was Sonya, his Sonya. His baby sister.

"Sonya?" He heard himself whisper.

"Newt" she breathed. And then they were touching and everything was alright in the world. Newt held her like he had never held anyone before, as tightly and firmly as he could. He kissed her forehead and tried not to cry as the scent of apples and cinnamon filled his lungs. Sonya.

"What are you doing here?" She looked up, tears running silently down her cheeks.

"We came to get you Kiddo. What are you doing here?"

"They..they're trying to keep us here. I..I don't know who they are or what they want..but there's hundreds of us.. they..they keep us all in huge shipping containers..a..and Teresa and I kept..kept breaking out..we tried to get out so that we could..t..t..tell the police where this place was and they could save the others. B..but Teresa got caught last time..the..they beat her up and keep her apart from the others..b..but she told me to get out..and tell the police. That's what I was doing." She stuttered out, before bursting into strained sobs. The girl clung to her older brother like a life line, and Newt held her close and kissed her head.

"It's alright Son.' It's ok. I've got you, I'm here now." He soothed.

"I missed you..I knew..I knew you'd come for me.." She sniffled. He gently wiped the tears from her cheeks and kissed her forehead again.

"I wouldn't dream of leaving you." Out of the corner of his eye, the blond eyed the brunette, who was clearly put on edge by the mention of Teresa. Right. Buisness.

"What do these people want with us Newt?" She whispered.

"I don't know. But we're gonna find out. Now Son', we're gonna get you to safety, find a hiding spot for you to wait in until we get ba-"

"Hell no! I'm coming with you. The people in there, they look up to me and Teresa. And I promised I'd get them out so that's what I'm gonna do." All signs of tears were gone as the girl clenched her fists determinedly. "Plus, you don't know where to find them. And I do." She challenged. Newt exchanged a glance with his partner. Of course he didn't want Sonya getting hurt, but she could certianly fend for herself and she was right, she knew where to go.

"Fine. But you stay by my side. Good that?"

"Good that."

"Ok but can we just rewind a bit," Thomas stepped in. Newt noticed how Sonya seemed startled to see him, like she wasn't expecting it. "You know Teresa?"

"Yeah. I can take you too her first, it's probably best. She's the groups leader, if anyone can round them up and get them out it's her." She grinned, almost proudly.

"Alright I got back up on this." Newt swung to this side, pulling out his radio to relay the information to Minho and Brenda. As he did so, he heard the conversation behind him.

"So you're still around?" Sonya asked.

"What do you mean?" Thomas replied.

"Well, it's been a few months. I would have thought Newt had a different partner by now is all." She shrugged.

"Well.." He scoffed, amused at what the girl was unaware of. "I think it might be different this time." He shrugged.

"Why?"

"Thats probably a conversation you should have with your brother. Let's just say you're going to get to know me better." She frowned but nodded slowly, before continuing.

"What happened whilst I was gone?" She asked.

"Well..we crashed a bus, got medals for it," she blinked "got shot at, at the medal ceremony, I got a bullet in the side, and then Newt got poisoned and almost died, but he didn't and now we're here." He shrugged.

"Poisoned?!" She pulled on Newts arm. "Are you ok, why didn't you tell me?"

"I'm fine Son.' I feel fine now." He assured her. The smaller blond seemed unconvinced but pressed a different issue.

"What's the conversation I should have with you? What's Thomas talking about?" She asked. Damn. Sonya was almost asking as many questions as Thomas.

"Well," he frowned at Thomas for passing him the burden, who shrugged. "Well," he repeated, unsure of what angle to come at it at. He sighed exasperatedly toward his expecting sister and gave up. Grabbing his partners shirt, he pulled him close for a deep kiss. Thomas blinked in surprise before sinking into it and snaking his arms around Newt's waist. The blond broke away a second after, much to the Americans dismay. Sonya blinked at the both.

"Wow. That's not what I was expecting." She blinked before glaring at Thomas "got my eye on you." Then she grinned at her brother "Yay! New family member! I hope he treats you better than Mark did." She grinned.

"He does." Newt scoffed, getting the green light from Minho that the coast was clear and to keep going. "Alright you two, let's go."

They made their way quickly down the corridor, Newt in front, Sonya in the middle and Thomas behind. The girl directed her brother to a small room. They peered in through the glass.

It was a large room, made out of dark blue stone. People in white coats travelled about, with clipboards or large shots of stomething. They all wore stone faces as they scribbled down notes. A white curtain covered part of the room, doctors sweeping in and out from it every now and then.

"How are we supposed to get in there with all those people?" Newt murmured. He glanced toward the brunette, who was studying some buttons on the wall closest to them. "Tommy?"

"They have a fire alarm, a flood alarm and an earthquake alarm. People go under desks in an earthquake right?" He asked.

"Yeah."

"We get them under the desks then they're out of the way." He shrugged.

"They all have radios. One of them will tell the boss, then your cover is blown." Sonya frowned. Newt chewed on his lip and whipped about. Then he noticed two guards standing on the other side of the room, behind the glass. They wore the same large black armour as the first guy, with darkened helmets.

"I think I've got an idea." Newt said cautiously. "And I think you're going to like it Tommy."