⇷ Jonathan Byers

Fear. A complex word. A complex feeling. Fear is unique to each and every human. Something that one may treasure is the same thing another avoids. Fear is one of the most complex concepts that exists in the world.

You knew fear. You experienced it nearly every day. Why? Because your biggest fear was the woods and the creatures that lay inside.

You were forced to walk past the forest everyday. It was either walk past, or through. You lived on the outskirts of Hawkins, Indiana. The only route to school was your biggest fear.

A panicked, frantic run-for-your-life power-walk occured every morning and afternoon. You always kept your head down, and refused to look at the dark, shady bundle of woods and trees.

It might have been silly. Maybe it was a stupid childhood fear. But you felt it. It was real.

This morning was no different than usual.

But then during school, Jonathan Byers came to your rescue. You and him are best friends, and you wouldn't change it for anything.

It was science class. The teacher was  droning on and on about some law of nature...

Jon is your lab partner in this boring class. He was currently annoying you with pokes and notes drawn on grid paper.

"How's about I go over your house after school today?" You asked the eldest Byers son quietly.

"Will and his friends are playing some game all night at my place. I'll go over yours, walk home with you."

He'd never been to your house, and he didn't know about your phobia. Amazing.

---
You leaned against a telephone pole in the school's parking lot. Your stare grazed upon the plethora of teenagers pouring out of Hawkins High's doors. You had your target in mind, and then, you saw Jon. You jogged over to him.

Without words, you were off on your journey. Jonathan followed you, since you were the leader of direction.

The half of the walk that occured on open streets was peaceful. Jon and you joked and talked as you always did. Many smiles were shared.

"Isn't your house just through here? It seems like a straight shot from the woods..." Jon suggested innocently.

"Aw, Jon. I like to walk around that."

"Scared?"

You felt-- mocked by this statement, "Yes, Jon. That's my fear."

He smiled at first, as if you were joking. Then his face fell. He knew you that you were serious.

An arm snaked around around your waist. He squeezed you close and you leaned your head against his chest.

"C'mon, Y/N/N. I'll protect you. I'll help you get over your fear."

You pulled him into a hug. You felt afraid, of course, but also forever grateful. Jon is incredibly sweet and wonderful to you.

He pulled out of the hug, then interlaced his fingers with yours. He took cautious steps toward the large bundle of trees, pulling you along. Your breath hitched and you squeezed Jon's hand tighter.

With your eyes squinted shut, you took your first steps into the woods. You heard cracks and whips of the wind, and eerie calls of insects and birds. A loud, bonechilling hoot of an owl caused you to jump, directly into Jon's arms.

He ushered you to open your eyes, and you did. You saw that, somehow, you had gotten to the middle of the forest. Jon held onto you still.

"Jon, I don't feel afraid."

"Good, leave your fear inside of here."

You laughed slightly, a huge smile upon your face.

Jon took a step closer to you. He was so close, that you could feel his breath against your hairline and ear.

He kissed your cheek, back behind your ear. Another on your nose. Then, a small whisper of, "We can leave this in here too, if you'd like."

A kiss was planted onto your lips. You wrapped your arms around your newly-found love, while you kissed back passionately.

Your biggest fear transformed into your favorite memory, with one kiss.

A/N: Any potterheads that noticed the parrells to Harry and Ginny's kiss in The Half-blood Prince??

wc: 693