Chapter 36

~

~

I was running out of time. And maybe, So was Riverdale. Hiram Lodge had been making moves. Big moves. But with no proof of criminal behavior, all I could do was speculate. What was Hiram's master plan for Riverdale? And why did it suddenly feel so close to  fruition?
.
.
.
"It's been a long time coming, Alice." Hal spoke from his place in front of us, i was sat in-between Betty and Alice while we listened to Hal. "But I'm out. I'm done fighting." He paused for a few seconds "I want a divorce."

My eyes widened ever so slightly, was this really happening? "Are you still seeing Penelope Blossom?" Alice asked, crossing her arms.

"No." Hal responded "And this isn't about that, this is how I worshiped you, like a goddess, for 20 years, we raised a family together." He gestured towards Betty and I "And then the first chance you get, you side with a stranger over me." He then looked back at Betty and I "you too, girls." believe me, I'm beginning to hate myself for that now. "I can't believe you two would choose Chic's side over your own fathers."

"Dad." I spoke up, smiling at him "If this is about Chic, then I'm totally with you, okay?"

"Me too." Betty nodded her head. "Let's ask him to move out"

"You sold The Register to that scum bag Hiram." Alice started again, ignoring what we said "I should be the one divorcing you."

"Hiram offered me a fair price." Hal replied "Half of which I will give to you you if you agree to set me free." He looked at her with a small smile "immediately."

"I'm listening." Alice sighed making Betty and I look at each other, I guess they're definitely getting a divorce.
.
.
.
.
"You guys called me?" I questioned while walking into the classroom that Jughead used for the serpents.

"Yeah, sit down." Archie responded while I leaned against the blackboard, giving him the gesture to start whatever he wanted to say. "Are you two still going after Hiram?" He asked. 

"That depends, who's asking?" Jughead responded "you? Veronica? The arch-fiend himself?"

"Jug, Julie." Archie started as he sat down next to Jughead, I moved forward to place my hands over Jughead's shoulders "there's gonna be a special election to replace Josie's mom."

"What Special election?" I asked, furrowing my brows slightly.

"Hiram Lodge wants my dad to run." Archie replied making my eyes widen in shock. Why would Hiram ask Fred to run for mayor? Is this another one of his plans?

"What, why?" Jughead asked in shock.

"Who knows." Archie said "I'm with Veronica so that means I'm with the Lodges." I scoffed and rolled my eyes, with the Lodges my ass. "But my dad, I can't let him get in any deeper with them."

"So, tell him he shouldn't run." Jughead suggested.

"Veronica would kill me if I did." Archie replied "Ditto the Lodges. Maybe I could give you two something, maybe you could write about it and that might make my dad hit pause."

"Okay." Jughead and I muttered in union, what kind of drama will Archie reveal to us about Hiram Lodge.

"You remember when Hiram Lodge gave Pop Tate that charitable donation to keep the diner open?"

"Yeah, we were all there." Jughead nodded.

"Except Hiram Lodge didn't give Pop's a donation, he bought the diner."

"No way!" I was absolutely shook. "What?" Jughead exclaimed after me.

"And he doesn't want anyone to know about it." Archie continued "Can you both do something with that fact? At least enough to make my dad think twice about this stupid Mayor idea?"

"He bought the diner?" Jughead asked again, an angry look evident on his face. "Yes." Archie nodded, Jughead stood up quickly making me stagger back slightly. He pulled out a map of the town and placed it out over the desk.

"My god. Hiram is like Dracula. He's snapping up properties from all over Riverdale to expand his empire and feed." Jughead explained to us, I placed my hand on his shoulder for comfort.

"If What you're telling us is true, everyone's in danger." I spoke up as Archie and I stared at each other, knowing that what I said was true.
.
.
.
.
"Jughead and I figured out Hiram's methodology." I started as we stood around the copper table, Betty and Alice standing beside us.

"He acquires devalued land at a deep some might say criminal discounts." Jughead took over the speaking while I stayed quite, I don't really explain things very Well. "The Twilight Drive-in, Sunnyside Trailer Park, Southside High and now Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe."

"Wait, Pop's?" Alice asked at the same time Betty asked "Hiram bought Pop's?"

"Yeah." I nodded at Betty "And while most people didn't care about Hiram's other acquisitions, probably because they were on the Southside."

"Pop's is the heart of Riverdale." Betty pointed out.

"Right." Jughead nodded "People will care about this one."

"So, when are you talking to Pop?" Alice questioned, staring at Jughead and I, I turned to look at Juggy and shrugged my shoulders.

I actually don't know.
.
.
.
Betty and I walked home from taking a stroll in the park together, like we used to do as kids.

I was shocked to find Polly and two baby's sitting in the living room. So these are the babies I feel sorry for with the horrible names. "Polly!" I smiled, giving her a big hug. "It's so good to see you." We pulled away while she smiled at me.

"What are you doing home, again?" Betty asked as she walked up next to me and hugged Polly.

"She just walked through the door with these perfect babies." Alice smiled from
Her place on the couch as she held the baby girl, I turned towards the other chair to see Chic holding the boy.

I quickly walked over and reached down "May I?" I kindly asked Chic who nodded his head and handed me the baby boy, I held him to my chest and awed, he's so beautiful.

"You have to hold one." Alice spoke
Up as she handed the girl to Betty, who also awed.

"Where's Dad?" Polly asked "Are we all gonna go to the will reading together?"

"What will reading?" Alice asked.

"What?" Polly replied "you—Dad hasn't told you?"

I sat down on the arm of chair Chic was still sitting on as we listened to Polly explain about Clifford Blossoms Will reading that was happening soon.
.
.
Authors Note,
Sorry it's late!
~Robyn