ch. XV -- And everybody learned her name

Kate was sitting on a balcony. Part of her fuming in anger or was it plain jealousy? Wrapped in the blanket, her eyes jumped from one car to another that she saw in the distance.

Sitting there in the chilly morning sun, wrapped up, biting her own nails and trying to compose herself. She still needed to get back in there, go pack her remaining stuff and wait for her mom to pick her up. Her mind was wondering to dark places. She remembered how she broke the mirror in rehab when she looked at it upon the first night and saw Lucifer looking at her.

"Evening." The Devil had smiled at her. With big eyes filled with fear she hit the mirror with both of her fists, not caring if they were bleeding then. She ended up with several stiches but it didn't erase the scene painted in her head. But the shards from the mirror that were now gracing sink and floor at that time seemed so inviting and calming. The broken pieces reflecting her, figuratively and literally speaking. She remembered how hard it was not to pick up those shards up and squeeze them in her already blood hands. Red seemed so nice at the moment. If it wasn't for Lucifer's voice in her head at that time, she would have done it.

Meanwhile, Lucifer was speaking, more like listening, to Maze and Chloe. His eyes darting to the balcony from time to time. Just like yesterday at the club. Just to check up on Kate. Somehow, He knew that girl had hellish thoughts in her head.

"Are you listening to me, Lucifer? We don't have time. Are you on this case with me or not?" Chloe said dropping manila folder on the counter top. At the sound Lucifer's eyes snapped to look at detective.

"One hundred percent, Detective." Lucifer assured her.

Maze looked from Chloe to Lucifer and then slowly made her way to sofa. While doing that her eyes slid to balcony, looking at Kate, demon sensed that the girl wasn't okay. Sitting on a sofa and propping her legs up at the coffee table, Maze was still looking at the girl outside.

"What did you do, Lucifer?" Maze asked turning to look at her boss.

"Whatever do you mean?" Lucifer said carefully eyeing Maze and letting His eyes slide to balcony for a split second.

"So now you're going to discuss personal matters?" Chloe groaned.

"No. Please continue, Detective." Lucifer said still looking at Maze and slowly directing His attention back to His partner.

Maze only narrowed her eyes at the Devil and looked back at the girl on balcony.

The Girl.

Everybody knew about her. Every divine creature had at least heard of her.

All the pretty angels that almost had no purpose, just to be there in Heaven as God's children, wanted to get close to Lucifer when He was still in the Golden Gate Paradise. But they never did.

And when the God's favorite was cast down below, none of that mattered. Lucifer wasn't interested in none of them. Until The Girl came around.

Lucifer remembers that at one point He found Himself in white winding corridors. Nobody seemed to notice Him. Wondering around, He ended up in room. There was screaming, people running and rushing around. Talking, yelling, encouraging. Lucifer didn't understand. Due the amount of the people in the room it was hard to see what was happening at the center.

Then there was a cry.

"It's a girl!" nurse smiled.

"Katherine." Lucifer had mumbled at the same time as baby's mother.

In that late August's night every sacred being learned the name of Katherine Andrews and that she'll be the Devil's favorite.

"I'm not guardian!" Lucifer spat when He was sitting on His throne.

"There's nothing you can do about it." Mazikeen said.

"How can I say, fuck you dad, with this one?" Lucifer grumbled, already starting to hate the child with every fiber in Him.

Maze recalled on that talk with the King of Hell all those years ago. And look how tables have turned. He didn't let her out of His sight, always made sure she's okay as much as He could. Now? Now something was wrong.

Kate was wrapping the blanket tighter around her body, her eyes drifting to the roof of nearby buildings. Until her eyes caught a sight of something that seemed familiar. And not in a good way.

Slowly getting up from her seat, Kate walked closer to the railing and looked at two figures standing on the rooftop.

Kate could have sworn that she has seen that light hair and those broad shoulders.

"No... it cannot be..." Kate mumbled taking three cautious steps back away from railing.

"Lucifer...?" Maze mumbled upon seeing Kate's movement. Devil's head snapped to look at Maze and then drifted to Kate.

"What is it this time?" Chloe asked.

Lucifer shushed her with move of His hand. His eyes trained on Kate's every movement.

Kate took one step closer again. Just to make sure that she saw right.

And there they stood. Tall and smiling and being proud for nothing or maybe everything?