ch. XVIII -- You.

To be honest Kate was in no way graceful. Even if it meant falling through clouds. She was screaming, but was there even someone who might hear her? Why was the angel bleeding?

And as she was falling, the clouds got thinner and thinner, all the purples and pinks of evening sun from earlier seemed to disappear and was replaced with darkness.

Why was the darkness shifting and shimmering? As she got closer and closer to this so-called mass of darkness, she came to realization that it was water, darkened by the upcoming night and the waves that shimmered because of dying light.

Coming closer to the darkness of watery webs, Kate stretched her hands in front of her as if to protect herself. To her terrified surprise the angel, that was falling before her, as it reached the surface of water, dissolved into the cloud of white mist. Soundless and painless. But the same did not happen to Kate. She wasn't that lucky. She could hear wind in her ears, the sound of the crushing waves into each other and the rapid beat of her heart that was threatening to jump out of her mouth any second. And as she fell into the water, everything disappeared.

She was... floating... upwards.

Sound was gone, she was still dry as a paper and impossibly weightless. Everything around her was dark. And the silence so very much killing. Above her were dark night skies, filled with thousands of shimmering stars- just like the waves earlier. There was no water beneath her, only dark soil. A soil that she couldn't reach at this moment. Only light source was on her fingertips and on her forehead- the skin scorched with angel's golden blood. What was this place? She looked around, her eyes full with unshed tears. But she wasn't alone. There were other people, just like her- dressed in white clothing, the blindfolds that once were around their eyes, now where tied around their left palm- a sign that they had disobeyed and taken the blindfold off. They all were walking in one direction on the soil, not a crumb of dirt etching onto their pristine outfits. And slowly she realized that she is starting to fall down again. There was no rush as if she needed to be on that grey, lifeless ground. As she slowly descended downwards, a white feather touched her hand.

Suddenly a force pulled her back before her bare feet could touch the dark soil. As if someones hand had just grabbed her by the back and yanked- hard.

With a sharp ragged movement, Kate woke up in her hospital bed.

"Where am I?" she screamed sitting up in bed and almost falling out of it.

She might have fallen out of it if strong yet gentle arms hadn't wrapped around her. Now standing on her knees on the hospital bed, her face facing white shirt, Kate unsurely looked up:

"Lucifer?" she mumbled disbelievingly.

"Shhhh... You are safe." Lucifer whispered staring down at her.

"Am I, though?" Kate asked looking down again.

"I wish I could just protect you from everything." Lucifer revealed.

"And you almost did." Kate said pushing herself away from Him and sitting on her knees on bed. Lucifer opened His mouth to speak, but Kate stopped Him:

"Where was I? What happened?"

"I'll explain everything, but the doctors are coming." Lucifer answered.

"I don't care! I need to know now!" Kate hissed raising back on her knees, grabbing the lapels of His suit and leaning in real close.

"Tell me, Lucifer, because I am pretty sure I was not here." She whispered to Him, her face couple of inches away from His.

"You were dead." Lucifer said, not even flinching from her closeness.

"I fucking bet I was." Kate was still fuming.

"I didn't want to let you... I didn't want him to leave with you..." Lucifer started slowly.

"So, you got rid of him?!" Kate quirked her eyebrow.

"Only possible way to stop it." Lucifer's eyes narrowed at her.

"I fell. In that place! What was that place?!" Kate let her head fall to His chest.

"Somewhere in-between. A place where unfortunate souls go if they disobeyed." Lucifer mumbled, His lips briefly leaning down to plant a soft kiss to her hair.

"It was terrible. Why didn't you just let me die?" Kate looked back up at Him with tears in her eyes.

"Did you want to die?" Lucifer seemed heartbroken at this. His hand raising and touch the spot where angel had her kissed, Devil's brows furrowing slightly.

"All I ever wanted was you..." Kate chocked out, rearranging her grip on His suit.