ch. XVII -- Don't follow.

"What do you mean judgement day?" Kate furrowed her brows.

"Fuck you! I have already been through it thanks to you!" she continued before Lucifer could shut her up.

Putting His hand on the speaker, Lucifer turned to Kate.

"Let me do the talking, darling." He advised her. With huff she rolled her eyes and turned to two bodies on other building.

"You can't send living person to Hell, sister." Lucifer reminded His sister.

"Who said anything about living person, Lucifer?" Jophiel laughed.

"And I know that you want to ask why her, right?" she-angel continued.

"You see, she wasn't part of the plan at the start, but somehow she became very good asset here." Jophiel shrugged.

"The funny thing is that, Matthew here, has taken fancy in her. You should just kindly step away, brother, and let someone who's actually capable of loving to take care of her. And maybe since you're doing that, you might as well just go back to Hell." Jophiel explained patiently.

"Don't make me laugh, Matthew is in no way capable of loving anyone." Kate laughed her eyes darting to the busy street below. Familiar car coming to a stop.

"I see someone has company." Jophiel said.

"What is she talking about?" Lucifer looked at Kate.

"Nothing." Kate said taking a step back from Lucifer.

"She never told you, big guy?" Matthew snickered.

"Told me what?" Lucifer eyed Kate slowly.

"She's leaving you." Matthew answered. Lucifer's and Kate's eyes snapped to roof across, where only Matthew was now standing alone.

"Where did she go?" Kate whispered.

"Leave me?" Lucifer asked, his eyes showing that He didn't understand.

"Lucifer, it's not like that. I mean... I'm just..." Kate was looking for words to explain to Him.

"You're leaving me." He stated, something in Him making painful tug in His chest.

"I just... I can't live if I have Devil constantly whispering in my ear." Kate lied. That wasn't the real reason why she was leaving.

"Don't lie to me." Lucifer furrowed His eyebrows.

"Can't you for once just go along with my lies?!" Kate whined.

"You're the last person I want to see lying to me, Katherine." Lucifer explained, His voice slightly raising.

"I'm going home! Happy?! I don't want to be here! Or near you!" Kate choked on the last sentence. Lucifer stood there completely frozen and He didn't understand from what: from her lies or the fact that she didn't want to see Him anymore.

While bantering with each other, no one noticed Jophiel's absence, nor the fact that Matthew already had ended the call.

Perfect distraction.

Kate dared to glance at Lucifer, His dark eyes searching her face.

"Why?" He asked so quietly that Kate almost thought that He might as well had said it in her head, only the movement of His lips being the only proof that He had said it out loud.

"Why..." Kate repeated, turning away and putting the blanket on one of the chairs.

"You don't have time to baby sit me anymore, Lucifer. And I'm sure that I don't need any more guidance in my life." Kate answered walking further along the edge of balcony, her back turned to Devil for a reason.

"But I rather well enjoy your company." Lucifer answered.

"Sometimes only enjoying other's company doesn't seem enough, Lucifer." Kate mumbled stopping to turn around and look at the King of Hell.

"And I suppose that your sister was quite right about one." She said leaning against railing.

Lucifer looked at her, His eyes narrowing for a second.

"She was correct that you could never tie yourself down to one person." Kate explained.

"Jophiel doesn't know thing about me." He replied not missing a beat and taking a step closer.

"No. Stay where you are. I'm just going to pack my stuff and go home. Please don't follow. Not this time." Kate said carefully stepping back.

"I know you think the coast is all clear

But I've got to warn you of the devil whispering in my ear

Before you settle in with all your heart strings

Attached to each one of my broken wings"