ch. XVIII -- The Edge.

"You know, it was pretty stupid move to send Mazikeen with your 'work-friend'." Jophiel said appearing in balcony's doors.

Kate and Lucifer both turned to look at the angel.

"You really think that you're going to win, brother?" Jophiel said slowly making her way closer to Kate.

"You stay away from her." Lucifer pointed at His sister and walked closer to Kate.

"Take one more step and her mother is gone." Jophiel warned.

"Mom?" Kate gasped turning around and looking down at the street below. Then looking across to roof she saw how Mathew was already holding a rifle in his hand and aiming for her mom.

"Mom!" Kate screamed leaning over the railing, trying to catch her mom's attention. Useless, of course, who would hear someone from that height?

"She's not going to hear you from up here, sweetheart." Jophiel chided and then reached in her jacket retrieving a gun.

"You're planning on killing Katherine now?" Lucifer asked in dangerously low tone.

Jophiel shrugged at Him as if that wasn't obvious fact.

"You go through me first." He said pointing at Himself.

"I said her mother gets it." Jophiel repeated pulling out her phone:

"One call, one life."

Something in Kate clicked at that. She looked at Lucifer and how He was trying to talk Jophiel out of doing this all. Girl didn't care at this moment. Glancing behind herself to look down and see how Matthew was aiming his gun already at her mom, made her revaluate things in her life.

Did it matter whose life it was?

Letting her eyes dart back to her Devil, yeah she called Him hers, even if it was for the next couple minutes she still had. He was standing there, the real Him, with His Devil face and no wings. Kate had wished for so long that He would be actually here and now He was, but she herself quite wasn't here anymore. And while she was thinking about His non existing wings she let herself wonder how He once might have looked with His pearly white feathery companions. He had told her about them and how magnificent they were and how He showed His big 'fuck you, dad' by cutting them off.

Maybe she could do them all a favor?

While Lucifer was bargaining for Kate's life so desperately, she quietly turned around to once again look down the balcony. Was she up to it?

"There goes nothing." She whispered to herself, lightly trembling.

Quickly putting both legs on the other side of the railing and holding onto the edge of it with all her might she took deep breath and turning her head to the side, she addressed both parties:

"Does it matter whose life it is?"

Lucifer turned around in split second at the sound of her voice.

"What are you doing?!" Lucifer shouted, His face losing all color.

"Did not expect that, huh... I suppose it doesn't." Jophiel hummed.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Don't even think of moving!" She-angel said to Lucifer.

"Shhh, it's okay." Kate said looking down. She didn't know to whom she was saying it: to herself or Lucifer.

"It's not okay!" Lucifer said in panicked voice.

"You know..." girl said in trembling voice, shaking her head so that her hair would be out of her face,

"It doesn't matter if I jump..." she looked up at sky.

"What do you mean it doesn't matter?!" Lucifer raised His voice.

"He won't go back to Hell, Jophiel." Kate said looking over her shoulder. Jophiel narrowed her eyes waiting for further explanation.

"You think I'll go to Hell if I die? You think He'll just go down there and watch how I suffer in endless loop? Or that I'll go to Heaven where He cannot follow?" girl explained.

"There is no fucking way He'll follow." She whispered.

"And there is no fucking way He'll go to Hell just because you want Him there." Kate said louder, her eyes drifting to Lucifer.

"Katherine, don't do it. You don't need to prove your point." Lucifer said trying to coax her back on balcony.

"Don't fucking move!" Jophiel yelled pointing at her phone reminding of consequences.

"She'll kill my mom." Kate whimpered with tears in eyes.

"Fine." Lucifer dead-panned turning to His sister.

"I'll go back to Hell IF you leave her and her family alone." He continued.

What?! He's going back?

"No, you can't!" Kate yelled with tears streaming down her face. What is she supposed to do without Him?!

"I can't... w-what..." Kate rambled, not making any sense.

"I don't care how this happens, but He has to go back Hell!" Jophiel yelled out of patience.

"No, why would you give away your freedom, you idiot?!" Kate didn't understand Him.

"What is the point of freedom if you won't be part of it?" Lucifer yelled back at her in desperation, tears filling His own eyes. Kate started at Him. What was He saying?

"Lucifer, what's the point in me? You're immortal, you'll forget about me in time. Besides you never wanted to be my guardian angel." Kate tried to reason, making herself make the decision faster and easier. She hated lying. Part of her knew that if she died then Lucifer would probably do something apocalyptic to punish Jophiel and Matthew and everyone who had done Him some wrong.

"I don't want to live knowing that you're in Hell and unhappy." She continued.

"So you suppose I'll just go back to... I don't know Earth without you, Katherine..." Lucifer answered, His eyes constantly jumping from Kate to His sister.

Well Jophiel had different plans, too impatient to wait on them she called Matthew:

"Do it."

"WHAT?!" Kate screamed looking from Jophiel to Matthew across the roof.

"Mom!!!" Kate screamed again leaning too far away from ledge.

Next second Kate screamed, losing her footing.

"KATE!" Lucifer shouted not missing a beat and jumping after her, praying to His Father to give Him back His wings for the last time.

She will die in the same way she lived her life.

She lived all her life falling for The Devil and now she was ending her life in the same way- falling.