Chapter 13 - On Edge

"Come on, Lei. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get you angry. It was a joke."

I had slammed the door in his face, fuming. He'd already pissed me off with the movie and now this? "Go away. You're a terrible person."

I heard shuffling behind the door and then Jerry's van started. Jeez, I didn't expect him to leave that fast. I peeped through my window curtains and watched as his van drove off.

I got dressed in a new pajama and then popped open my laptop to see two emails—one from the school, stating my work had been approved, and the other from a shopping site.

I logged off my email and pulled up Facebook, hoping to see what Jerry and his girl were up to. I searched for his name and came up short. Nothing. Then I wondered if he'd deleted his account. I tried all combinations of his name and still came up with nothing. Why? I tried to remember his girlfriend's name but my memory betrayed me.

So much for an entertaining night...

I woke up at two o'clock in the morning sweating like a pot cover. And the thing was, I had the air-conditioning on the nineteen.

Pissed, I texted Jerry.

Lei: I just woke up cold sweating!

I sent him six angry emoji faces and a middle finger and threw my phone on the bed to fetch a glass of water. By the time I returned, I had a new notification waiting.

Jerry: I'm sorry, didn't know it was that serious.

Why was he even up? I sent him another middle finger and soon after, the phone vibrated with his name on my screen. Just great. "Why are you calling me?" I answered.

"I don't know how many times I can apologize, Leila but I'm truly sorry."

"Sorry can't buy ten cents curry." I quickly regretted saying the words because he didn't know Caribbean slang.

"What?"

"Nothing, never mind. The damage is already done." I sighed. "Why are you up?"

"I was thinking about you."

I rolled my eyes. "Are you outside? What is all that breeze I'm hearing?"

"Yeah, in my gallery."

Oh, wow, he had a gallery. "Why? What happened to your bedroom?"

"Uh... nothing, I just like it out here."

"Okay." I folded my legs beneath me and propped the pillow behind my back for support.

"So, what are you wearing?"

"What?" Surely I didn't hear right.

He chuckled. "Just kidding. Do you plan on going back to sleep?"

"Yes, I plan to. It's night, you know." I cleared my throat. "By the way, I'm wearing nothing..." He coughed. "but pajamas." I snickered. "Did you really think I was going there?"

"I don't know, but it would be nice entertainment. Do you want to know what I'm wearing?"

"No." I lied. "I'm not doing this with you, Jerry boy."

"Oh, come on, we are two consenting adults."

"Nah, I'm good."

"I'm still going to tell you anyway," he laughed.

"Jerry."

"I'm not wearing—"

I hung up. Not because my battery died, but because I hadn't the strength to carry on a conversation like that with him. Dry spells could have a girl humping bed sheets. Jerry called again but I rejected it. I shot him a message and flopped back into bed without waiting for a response.