Chapter 18 - Something More

My heart drummed in my chest and while Jerry walked off, I stayed frozen by the door. "What? Is it g-good news or bad news?" I stuttered.

"I'm sorry, but we can't discuss this over the phone. You must come in as soon as possible, Ms. Clarke."

Then why the heck did he call me? Who the heck called people late in the evening to tell them about results that couldn't be said over the phone? This was straight-up evil. "This doesn't make sense, then why you called?"

"I apologize, Ms. Clarke, for the late call. The secretary misplaced the logs, and we thought we called you."

"That's okay..." It wasn't. "I'll come in tomorrow, thanks." I hung up.

Jerry eyed me. "Lei, are you ok?"

"It was Dr. Dorn, he wants me to come in tomorrow. He said he got the results."

"And he called now?" Jerry ran his fingers through his hair, making it look messy but still cute.

"It's okay." I sucked in a deep breath. "Let's go." I took two steps down the stairs.

"Are you sure you still want to go?"

He seemed more worried than I was. "Yeah, I'm fine." I lied. I took the lead and walked to his car.

It took us twenty minutes to arrive at the charity event. Jerry and I walked alongside each other but I didn't hold his arm like the other ladies who came in with their beaus. If this gala happened to be on television or some news magazine, I didn't want to seem caught up.

They held the function in a hotel's ballroom. The usher gave us a card with all the proceedings and then directed us to our table—number thirty-eight to be exact. The large room had yellow lighting. Bumblebee was the theme because everything either had black, gold, or yellow. The chandeliers gave the entire place a warm and welcoming feel. Over three hundred guests crowded the room at their varying seats and all of them looked absolutely stunning in their tuxedos and dresses.

I turned to Jerry, setting my purse on the table. "So these are all the business owners in Miami?"

"Some. Most are family members attending."

"Oh... The place is beautiful. Well decorated." I still couldn't take my eyes off the chandeliers.

"Yeah, it is."

My phone vibrated in my purse but I focused my attention on the announcer on the stage.

"Good evening everyone. Welcome to our thirty-fourth business charity event. We have made it another year. Give yourselves a round of applause."

Everyone, including myself, stood and applauded. When the crowd quieted and took their seats, the announcer toasted to the new year. My phone vibrated again, and this time I sneaked a peek.

Luke: Hey Beautiful.

Luke: Was just messaging to see if you're good. Hope your evening is going well.

Leila: Yes it is... Thanks for the wishes. We will talk later, already left home.

I waited five minutes for a response before tucking my phone into my purse. He didn't reply.

The announcer finished up his opening speech and allowed another person to take over. They gave out seven plaques and five tokens to some business owners. They even had a prize draw.

"What do you want to eat? It's buffet style," Jerry said, breaking my thoughts.

I smiled forcefully. "Whatever you choose, I trust you."