Chapter 17 - Keeping it Cool

My fingers stiffened around the phone.

"Lei? Are you there... Please don't tell me she's fainted," Cara said to herself.

"Yes... yes, I'm here. Who told you he's awake?"

"Luke's mom, she wasn't there when he woke, but the doctors notified her."

So she called Cara instead of me? I was his fiance. I thought she was beyond the crap when she offered to help me? I bit my cheek.

"Are you alright?" Jerry asked, stepping closer.

I shushed him with a finger. I shouldn't even be with him right now.

"Who's that? Was that Jerry?" Cara asked.

"No," I lied, "It's the TV. I'll go check him in the morning. It's late and visiting hours are over."

"What? No, Lei... he wants you there, like, now. Ever since he woke up he's been asking for you."

"How long was that?"

"On Friday."

"Friday!" I sucked in a deep breath, preventing myself from exploding on her. "Why is it only now I'm hearing about this?"

"I don't know, I only found out today. But that's not the issue right now. Just get your butt down there," she hung up.

"Fuck!"

Jerry caressed my arms as if to warm me. "What's the matter?"

"It's Luke, he's awake."

His eyes widened. "Your fiance?" He nervously ran one hand through his wet hair.

I paced. How? Why now? "I need to get down there, now."

"But it's late, aren't visiting hours over?"

"Yes, but he wants me there."

"Well, get ready. You can't go like this."

I rolled my eyes and disappeared into my room. I took a quick shower and tried to tame my wet hair as much as possible. When I was satisfied, I threw on a jacket and jeans. When returned to the living room, Jerry had vanished. "Jerry?" I called, strolling towards his bedroom.

"Yeah, in here."

I pushed the door and froze. Then I turned away from him, sealing my eyes. "Shit, sorry. I..."

Jerry cleared his throat...

Of all the times he could have been naked, he chose to do it now? I scurried out of the room.

Five minutes passed and he still hadn't emerged from his bedroom. My nerves were a wreck and my patience thinned. "Could you hurry?" I shouted.

Jerry appeared, pulling a t-shirt over his head in front of me. "It's not like he will knock out again, Lei.. it doesn't change whether you reach now or twenty minutes later."

"What the..." I stood. "You're being insensitive. Either you hurry or I'll go with your car because you don't seem to care."

"I'm here now, aren't I?"

He sounded more pissed than me. I should be the upset one. Not him. I stormed off to the kitchen and grabbed the keys. I was better off alone, anyway. Then my head throbbed, right where I always felt it. I placed the keys back on the table, deciding on a walk outside.

I followed the gravel pathway until I saw a car whooshed by on the main road. Then Jerry pulled up alongside me, not looking happy at all. I glared at him. "What?"