Chapter 35 - A Listening Ear

Warm hands wrapped around me, shielding me like a cocoon. It took me seconds to open my eyes for fear that I might still somehow fall. But as I was brought to an upright position, my eyes fluttered open.

Jerry had been so close to me that I'd almost forgotten what had happened. But when he smiled, my amnesia turned into straight-up anger. I shoved him away, scowling. "I almost lost my baby because of you."

"Me?" He touched his chest.

I folded my arms, pissed that I had to explain myself. "Yes, if I didn't have to look for your disappearing ass, then I wouldn't have tripped."

He chuckled, scratching his head. "I still don't see how it's my fault. You're the clumsy one."

"Whatever, get away from me." I should have never come outside in the first place. I should have taken an early bed and minded my darm business. When he moved to follow me up the steps, I got a real whiff of him. It was as if the breeze had blown from a septic tank. "My God! You smell stink." How hadn't I smelled him before?

"Well, it's been almost six days."

I groaned with disgust. How could anyone be like this past a day was beyond me. I motioned him inside and Jerry quirked a brow as if I'd been talking to someone else. He even glanced over his shoulders to make sure.

"Me?" he questioned.

I rolled my eyes. "Well, stay outside then." I reached for the door handle—

"Wait!" Smoothing his t-shirt, he entered, swingeing my nose hairs with his pungent scent. He needed a bath with bleach, rosemary, and lavender ASAP.

"You need to bathe..." I snorted.

"Really? I thought we could talk like this," he joked.

I squinted at him. None of this was funny. Knocking me up, not leaving his fiancé after we fucked, and saying that he loved me even when he chose her, was not funny at all. I should have called police on his ass. He had no idea what I'd been through.

Jerry followed me to the couch and almost sat next to me before I held my palm out. "Go shower, jeez!" I was seconds away from passing out.

From the couch, I directed him where the bathroom was, and where he could find the soap, towels, and all the other stuff. When he disappeared in the hallway, I used that opportunity to unwrap another package. This time, it was a rattle, a chew toy, a pacifier, and a baby book with all the dos and don'ts of postnatal care.

I flipped to the third page and jumped when the front door slammed. I sat upright, baffled. I knew I had closed it, so—The door opened and Jerry appeared with a carry-on suitcase in his hand and a duffel bag over his shoulder.

I eyed him. "Really?"

"What? I forgot it in the car."

"You had an entire suitcase in the car and you didn't think of changing? It has a standpipe outside. You could have bathed."

"And let the neighbors feast their eyes? Whitney had been trying to get me into her house for the last two days."

"Whit—" I squinted. Anyone who had a dick was always welcomed by Whitney. Mom always called her house a whore house because of the characters that frequented there. "Stay away from Whitney." I corked my nose. "Now, could you please go take a bath?"

***

The next morning, I woke up in confusion. My blanket was tucked over me and my fluffy slippers were neatly placed at the side of my bed. Last night, I remembered Jerry and him taking a bath, but everything after that felt a little sketchy. I didn't know if I dreamt it but it was as if my body had been floating in a pool of aftershave. The scent was so strong I could have tasted it. What was worse, I didn't even remember going to bed... or what happened after an episode of Family Feud.