Chapter 27 - Rebound

I held my knees, gasping for air. I couldn't breathe.

Of all the things he did to me, this was the worst—morbid. Luke had lied, cheated, betrayed me... all for what? I stooped on the sidewalk, trying to catch my breath. I wiped my tear-stained cheek and flicked it away. I wasn't crying because of him—I cried because I allowed him to do this to me. I should have seen this from a mile away but no, I was too dumb to understand. Too dumb to see him for what he really was—an asshole. Years we fought, months we argued, and then my stupid self still got engaged to him. God.

I had the right mind to go back and pummel him to death for doing this. He had no right! All I did was love him unconditionally and he did this. Tears blurred my vision as I searched for my phone in my purse. I called my taxi and found the nearest wall. If my head hadn't been spinning then, it did now.

By the time the cab arrived, my nose had been stuffy and behind my eyes ached. I gave the driver Angie's address without a thought to it. I wanted to get away. Go somewhere, drive somewhere until I didn't hurt anymore. I sat back in the seat and felt the constant vibration in my hands. I knew it was Luke. He had some nerve. I shoved it in my purse and leered through the window. Fuck him. Fuck Luke for making me like this and playing me for a fool. I was better than this. I was better than him, so fuck him.

Angie's car was parked in the front as if she was on her way out. I got out of the taxi and ran towards it, hoping she was there. I paused when I spotted myself in her car window. My face looked as if I'd been sleeping on it. My eyes were puffy, my nose looked like my damn forehead and fine lines wrinkled my face. I sniffed, trying to school my face into a presentable look. Dragging my palm down my face about ten times, I walked to the front door. I lifted my fist toward the door but it flew open.

Angie—casually dressed and holding a woven basket and keys—jerked back when she saw me. "Leila, my goodness! You look..." she pulled me into a tight hug, her basket sinking into my lower back. Then she eyed me with a frown. "What's the matter, honey? Are you alright?"

I nodded, not wanting to bother her with my nonsense. She had better things to do than to listen about my demon of an ex-boyfriend. A rain of nerves ran through me thinking about Luke. "Just a little under the weather," I said. "But is it possible to get the keys for the car?"

Angie rolled her eyes. "Oh heavens, Lei. You don't have to ask."

I shifted. "I... I don't have the one you gave me. Well, on me at the moment. It's home but—"

She held her palm up. "Stop, you don't have to explain. The car is yours." And with a finger in the air, she disappeared inside and returned with the jingling keys, locking the door behind her. She handed it to me, "Don't worry, I started it this morning."

"Thanks."

"Well, I'm going to the market to get a few items and then to a restaurant with a friend. I'm running a bit late, but I hope to see you again soon." She moved past me and hustled to her car.

I followed her to her door, feeling extra ridiculous for what I was about to ask.

I opened my mouth and then closed it but Angie lowered her glass and peered at me. "You wanted to say something?"

"I... uh..." I scratched my head. "Where does Jerry live?"

"Jerry?" She said it as if he were a stranger.

"Yeah, I have something to give him," I lied.

"Oh." Angie rummaged in her car and pulled out a paper and pen. She wrote down the address and explained the directions.

I took the note from her. "Thank you."

"Close the garage when you leave. I don't want the birds to nest in there," she said.